The Carolina Hurricanes have been in their "playoff mode" as of late but could not find the back of the net against the Florida Panthers on Sunday as they lost a key matchup, 2-0 against the Cats. The Canes have yet to defeat Florida this season, (0-2-2).
Jose Theodore earned the shutout, his third of the season, to keep the Panthers in first place in the division. The Capitals also won Sunday, putting the Hurricanes that much further back in any potential playoff chase.
Carolina played the night before and started this game off slowly as they only mustered five shots on goal in the opening period, but put 19 shots on Theodore in the second period. They outshot the Panthers for the game, 34-33, but it was not enough.
The Canes are now 3-7-3 in the second games of back-to-backs this season. They traveled to New York after the game and will take on the Rangers on Tuesday night.
- Patrick Dwyer led the team with six shots on goal and Brandon Sutter was next with five.
- The team managed 27 hits with Nodl, Stewart, and LaRose picking up four each.
- Tim Gleason had a team high four blocked shots.
- Eric Staal has reportedly been fighting a bug, only played 17 minutes, and had one shot on goal for the game.
- Find post game quotes at Canes PR.com.