The Carolina Hurricanes did not fare well at all against New York teams this season and ended up being swept by both the Islanders and Rangers as the Blueshirts took care of business, 4-2 against the Canes on Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
The Rangers jumped out to a 3-0 lead before Carolina could get one past Martin Biron, a powerplay tally by Tim Brent 14:44 into the second period. Then just 32 seconds later, Drayson Bowman would score his third of the season to make it 3-2, but the Rangers would score the only goal of the third to take the win.
Brad Richards had two goals and an assist for the home team.
The Canes return home to take on the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night.
- The season debut of Bobby Sanguinetti could have gone better as the defenseman got banged up and had just 9:39 of ice time. Low man was Derek Joslin with 5:35 while Jerome Samson had 6:21.
- Justin Faulk led both teams with 28:16 of ice time.
- The Canes combined for 29 shots on goal and were led by Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner with four each.
Cam Ward allowed four goals on 28 shots.
- The team had 20 hits led by Jussi Jokinen and Faulk with three each.
- Jamie McBain and Tim Gleason had three blocked shots each. The Canes had 13 for the game.
- Carolina dominated the faceoff circle and won 65%. (Staal 64%, Sutter 67%, Jokinen 56%, Brent 83%)