As of midnight, the Staal brothers were running a tight horse race in the latest NHL.com poll.
The last few days have been a storm surge of TV coverage, articles, texts, tweets, analysis, sound bites, and perhaps even a little humor as Canes fans turned our collective attention from draft rankings to blockbuster trades and now on to what happens next with free agency and a CBA negotiations around the corner. So in case you missed anything and need a convenient way to catch up, here's a quick recap.
After the jump:
- Reaction to "the trade" from around the league, including interview audio
- Other notes from Draft Day
- Hurricanes Conditioning Camp begins this week
- Hurricanes free agents update - who was qualified?
- What happens next with the CBA?
The following news links flow in relatively chronological order as Jordan Staal met with the media on Saturday, followed by media availability from Brandon Sutter, Eric Staal, and Jim Rutherford on Monday.
- Jordan Staal speaks with the media Saturday (AUDIO from CH.com)
- Chip Alexander (News & Observer) Friday was an unforgettable day for the Staals
- ESPN.com - New Carolina Hurricanes center Jordan Staal 'very excited' by trade
- Luke DeCock (News & Observer) Staal haul among top trades, but not No. 1 (he also includes his list of the Hurricanes' top 10 trades - agree or disagree?)
- Mike Maniscalco (WRAL Sports Fan) Breaking down the Jordan Staal deal (be sure to also watch the video with John Forslund)
- Scott Cullen (TSN.ca) Numbers Game: Hurricanes get another Staal
- Gene Collier (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) Penguins' Staal married and divorced, all in one day
- Nicholas Cotsonika (Yahoo! Sports) Penguins trade Jordan Staal to Hurricanes in win-win deal
- Brandon Sutter speaks with the media Monday (AUDIO from WRAL Sports Fan)
- Chip Alexander (News & Observer) Ex-Cane Sutter gets set for new start
- Dave Molinari (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) Sutter all about making his point with Penguins
- Sean Leahy (Yahoo! Sports Puck Daddy) Brandon Sutter coming to Pittsburgh to be own player
- Mike Halford (NBC Sports ProHockeyTalk) Sutter on joining Penguins: "I just want to win some games"
- Dave Lozo (NHL.com) Sutter excited about potential to win with Penguins
- David Droschak (Hurricanes Beat) Hard Hit Analysis: Will Sutter Be Missed?
- Brandon Sutter on NHL Live (NHL Video Center)
- Eric Staal on NHL Live (NHL Video Center)
- Jim Rutherford talks Staal trade with Adam and Joe WRAL Sports Fan AUDIO
- Jim Rutherford on Fan 590 AUDIO
- And to answer a burning question on everyone's mind, here's Mike Sundheim (twitter):
Mike Sundheim @MikeSundheim: Jordan Staal will wear No. 11 with the Hurricanes, and the brothers will have their initials on their jersey nameplates.
- *Edited 11:00 AM to add* Mike Maniscalco (WRAL Sports Fan) Staal brothers want to get 'Canes back in playoffs (includes AUDIO from interview this morning)
- Michael Smith (CH.com Tracking the Storm) Day Two Roundup (includes photos and draftee updates from Director of Amateur Scouting Tony MacDonald)
- Kevin Allen (USA Today) Which teams helped themselves the most at draft? (hint: you'll see a familiar name here)
- Peter Koutroumpis (Raleigh Examiner) Hurricanes' MacDonald led amateur draft with eye on development
- On the heels of the draft and starting a couple of weeks early this year, Hurricanes' Conditioning Camp Set for June 26-30 (from CH.com). Thirteen invitees have been selected for this year's camp (roster), including eight of the nine prospects drafted by the Canes this weekend (the ninth prospect, Brendan Woods, will miss camp for medical reasons as explained here). Also joining camp will be forward Jeremy Welsh, who was signed by the Hurricanes to an entry level contract in time to play in the last game of the 2011-12 season. The other attendees are camp invitees, including two sons of ex-player and current NBC Sports Network color analyst Eddie Olczyk.
- The on-ice portion of Conditioning Camp will be held at Raleigh Center Ice on Wednesday through Saturday from 4:30 - 5:30 pm and is open to the public. Visit the RCI website for directions and other information.
- From twitter, at least one of the attendees is ready for the experience. And a previous conditioning camp attendee passes on a little encouragement.
Collin Olsen C_Olsen29: Heading to Carolina tomorrow morning. Couldn't be more excited! #canes
Brody Sutter Sutts19: Good luck to all the guys headed to the @nhl_canes summer camp this week. You're gonna need it. Trust me. #HardestWeekOfMyLife #14HourDays
- Hurricanes Qualify Seven Players (CH.com) - On Monday, the Hurricanes extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Drayson Bowman, Zach Boychuk, Evgenii Dadonov, Mike Murphy, Jerome Samson, Chris Terry, and Jeremy Welsh. The Canes will retain Murphy's NHL rights although he has signed to play in the KHL next season. Dadonov has also been rumored to be considering a move to the KHL, although nothing has been confirmed at this time.
- RFAs Kyle Lawson, Cedric McNicoll, and Matthew Pistilli did not receive qualifying offers and will become unrestricted free agents on July 1. All three players spent time with the Charlotte Checkers organization last season and were also covered in an article (Go Checkers.com) on Monday.
- Set to become new unrestricted agents on July 1 are Justin Peters, Justin Soryal, and Brett Sutter. Bryan Allen, Chris Durno, Mathieu Roy, and Jaroslav Spacek are free agents whose contracts have expired and all will test the free agent market.
- Andrew Seligman (AP/USA Today) - NHL labor negotiations about to begin
- Chris Kuc (Chicago Tribune) - NHL CBA: NHL players gather to discuss bargaining strategy. Stars and player reps meet in Chicago with union chief about tactics for new CBA.
- Canadian Press/Globe and Mail - Ovechkin, Weber among players at NHLPA meetings
- David Shoalts/Globe and Mail - NHLPA draws line in the dirt ahead of contract talks
- James O'Brien (NBC Sports ProHockeyTalk) - Donald Fehr on CBA talks: "There's plenty of time to negotiate"
- About 50 players joined Monday's session, and more will be attending as the week progresses. If there is any specific information about Hurricanes players who are attending, I will pass along an update.