The Carolina Hurricanes got off to a typical slow start and fell behind early, but they turned things around and ended up defeating the Ottawa Senators, 4-1 on Sunday night in front of 13,657 at the PNC Arena.
Jason Spezza would put the Sens ahead early though as he tucked in his own rebound on Ward just 1:07 into the game to make it, 1-0. The Senators had the momentum early and were outshooting the Canes, 6-2, and 9-5 before Carolina finally turned the tables later in the opening period.
At 9:03 into the second period, rookie Elias Lindholm skated the puck to the front of the net and made a high shot at a tight angle to make it 3-1. Eric Staal and Faulk got the assists again and this was a powerplay goal, the second in two games for Carolina.
There would be no more scoring until Eric Staal shot the puck into an empty net with 2:23 left in the contest.
This was probably the best offensive effort of the season for the Hurricanes, who got 37 shots on goal for the game. The last time and only other time this season the team knocked in four goals was against the Islanders back on October 19th.
Next up will be a home and home sequence against the New Jersey Devils on the days before and after Thanksgiving.
- The Canes went 1-4 on the powerplay. The Sens were 0-2.
- After a slow start, Justin Faulk and Andrej Sekera played well and both finished at +3. Faulk had two assists along with a team high 24:12 of ice time and Sekera was next with 23:08. Faulk also had a team best four blocked shots.
- Tuomo Ruutu had a team high six shots on goal followed by Ryan Murphy with five.
- Jiri Tlusty had a team high five hits followed by Brett Bellemore and Jay Harrison with four each.
- Muller went with four lines in this one as Kevin Westgarth had a team low, 9:46 of ice time. Westgarth took an ill advised boarding penalty early and Mark Borowiecki had to be helped from the ice and he did not return. It looked like the defenseman had lost an edge and had slipped before Westgarth checked him into the boards.
- Cam Ward definitely kept the team in it early and his diving stick save should be a highlight for the night. To see it again, click here. SB Nation - Ward's save
- Carolina will be off Monday and will return to the ice for a practice on Tuesday. For post game interviews, check - Canes PR.com.