Christopher Tanev scored on a long shot just 3:35 into the game as it appeared that Justin Peters was screened on the play. The score stayed 1-0 until the Canucks added an empty-netter with a bit over a minute left.
While they put 31 shots on net, the Hurricanes could never rattle goalie Eddie Lack, who earned his first NHL career shutout with the effort. Lack also beat the Canes in Carolina on the first of the month.
Both goalies made some nice saves at times but there was tight defense throughout and several blocked shots in this one as well.
The Canes travel to Edmonton right after the game so they can take on the Oilers on Tuesday night.
- Both team's powerplays went 0-4.
- Jeff Skinner had a team high five shots on goal. Jiri Tlusty was next with four.
- Manny Malhotra led the team in the faceoff circle with a 67% winning percentage, (10 of 15). The Canes finished at 46%.
- Carolina finished with 14 blocked shots. Tim Gleason led the way with four.
- Tuomo Ruutu led the Canes with five hits. They had 20 for the game.
- Low man with ice time was Kevin Westgarth with 4:08. Next lowest was Radek Dvorak with 10:03 and Riley Nash with 10:15. Justin Faulk had a team high 23:28.
- Post game interviews are at CanesPR.com.