Two hot teams faced each other when the Carolina Hurricanes met the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday night, but one skated away with an easy win. Steven Stamkos scored his 100th career goal and Vincent Lecavalier picked up his 750th career point as the Lightning rolled over the Canes, 5-1.
Carolina got some bad news before the game when they found out that star goalie, Cam Ward, would be sitting this game out because of an infection. Justin Peters got the start in his place.
After an evenly played first period, the Lightning poured on 18 shots on goal to just two for the Canes during the second, and put the game away.
Dominic Moore opened the scoring at 5:48 into the game, but the Canes tied things up with a powerplay tally later in the period by Sergei Samsonov. Jeff Skinner and Erik Cole got the helpers.
Then Martin St. Louis scored a goal with just one second left in the period and that apparently took the wind out of sails of the visitors.
The second period was all Tampa as they dominated in every facet. Peters has had better nights as he allowed a couple he'd like to have back but his teammates only generated two shots for the entire period and that was not nearly enough to make a game of it.
The Bolts added three goals in that fateful second period, then coasted through the third to put the game away.
The Canes will try to start a new winning streak against a tough Montreal team on Thursday night at the RBC.
Quick Stats and Thoughts:
- There really isn't much to say about this game except it's probably one to forget for Carolina fans. After the low point of the second period, the Canes skated with more jump and had some chances in the third, but by then it was too little too late.
- The team was horrid in the faceoff circle, winning just 38%. Eric Staal had 38%, Brandon Sutter had 38%, and Ryan Carter was at 42%.
- The Canes were out-shot 34-22, but the second period total of two shots was the killer.
- The positive of the game for the Hurricanes was that they out-hit the Lightning 27-19. Tuomo Ruutu had a team high seven.
- The Bolts did an excellent job by blocking 23 shots. The Canes blocked 13.
Following are some post game quotes: