The Carolina Hurricanes finished off their preseason with an overtime, 2-1 loss to the Nashville Predators on Saturday night at Bridgestone Arena.
After a scoreless first two periods, Bryan Allen gave the Canes a 1-0 lead three minutes and change into the third with the help of an assist by Brandon Sutter. But shortly after, Jiri Tlusty would take a double minor on a high sticking call and Patric Hornqvist tied things up during the ensuing powerplay.
The game ended in regulation tied 1-1, but it sounded like the Preds controlled the extra period as they got three shots on goal to zero for Carolina. Craig Smith netted the game winner with just 10 clicks left on the clock.
The Canes have a week left to practice, to reflect on their 1-4-1 preseason record, and to prepare for their season opener against Tampa Bay on Friday night. Paul Maurice mixed and matched up the lines in this game, so it's hard to tell if any chemistry took place or not. Other than the goaltending, it seems like they need work in all other areas.
We'll have more analysis about that starting tomorrow.
- Once again, the team was outshot, this time by a 43-21 margin. The Canes generated zero shots on goal in OT and only three shots during the opening 20 minute stanza.
Eric Staal led the team with four shots on goal.
- The team was credited with 21 hits, led by Tim Gleason and Bryan Allen with four each.
- Ryan Murphy played 18 plus minutes and was praised by Chuck Kaiton on air for his puck-moving and skating ability, but he was also credited with a game high four giveaways. Should the team continue to play him as a try-out in these all important nine games coming up? More discussion about that coming up this week.
- The Canes won 51% of their draws with Staal winning 59%, Sutter, 57%, and Brent 28%. (those who took three or more draws)
- The Canes were 0-4 on the PP and generated just 4 shots while with the man advantage.