This week the Carolina Hurricanes announced the 6th annual Friesen 5K Run with the Canes will be held on September 11, 2011 at the RBC Center.
Hosted by Pete Friesen, Hurricanes Head Athletic Therapist and Strength and Conditioning Coach, the event brings together the Hurricanes organization and the community to celebrate health and fitness, all while benefitting a great cause, the Eastern NC Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Printable registration forms are available at the Friesen 5K news page on the Hurricanes website, and online registration is now open at the NC Races website.
After the jump, a few F5K Fun Facts.
Friesen 5K Fun Facts:
- The Friesen 5K began in 2006 when Pete Friesen decided he wanted to give back to the community and Hurricanes fans to celebrate his day with the Stanley Cup.
- To date over 8,500 Caniacs have participated in the Run, raising over $200,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- For runners who wish to keep an official time, the race is electronically timed with timing chips that can be picked up at registration. The top 3 overall male and female runners will receive awards.
- The race is also walker-friendly. Walkers can take the entire 5K route, or there is a 1K cut-off route around the RBC Center that allows participants to veer off the course and return to the start/finish line, usually in time to catch the first groups of runners as they cross. The kids races start about an hour and 15 minutes after the 5K begins to allow walkers time to complete the race.
- Registration fee is $30 for the 5K and $10 for the kids races. You can save $5 off the registration fee by registering before September 1.
- Team registrations are also available (fill in the team name on the registration form). A special award will be given to the team that raises the most money.
- Every registered race participant is eligible for prize drawings which include memorabilia signed by Hurricanes players.
- The event is well-attended by Hurricanes players, coaches, and staff. Last year around 30 members of the Hurricanes organization participated, including 23 players and prospects (last year's recap can be found here).
Every year there are many inspirational stories from runners and teams who participate to honor survivors or pay tribute to lives lost. Since this year's event falls on the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, I have heard that some people will be running to remember that event as well. I would love to hear from anyone who is participating in any type of tribute. You can reach me in the comments here, on twitter, or privately via email (link at the bottom of this page). You may find yourself in an upcoming Canes Country article!