Skinner gave the Canes a 2-1 lead at 12:29 into the first period and then scored the game winner 6:36 into the third when he circled behind the net and roofed a perfect shot over Tampa Bay goalie, Dustin Tokarski.
After the Lightning took a 1-0 lead just 1:20 into the game, Jaroslav Spacek tied the game 2:26 later with a seeing eye shot from the point. Then Skinner's goal gave Carolina the lead later in the first, but the Bolts tied the game with 2:46 left in the opening period.
The teams battled through a scoreless second as Cam Ward stopped 18 shots in that period alone, then Skinner scored the winner and Chad LaRose tallied an empty-netter to close things out late in the third.
Ward made 36 saves and picked up his 24th win of the season. The Canes were out-shot in every period and shots ended up 38-26 for the game.
There is no rest for the weary as Carolina will next take on the Florida Panthers tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 p.m.
- Skinner had a team high five shots on goal and finished at +3 for the night. He was also given a 10 minute misconduct near the end of the game, but the broadcast did not mention why.
- The team continues to do well in the faceoff circle and they won 57% for the game. (Staal 50%, Sutter 53%, Jokinen 79%, Brent 57%)
- Tim Gleason had a team high five hits. The team was credited with 21 for the game.
- Jay Harrison had a team high five blocked shots. Bryan Allen had three.
- Chad LaRose had two points, (goal and assist) and finished +3 for the game. Tuomo Ruutu had four shots on goal on his return from injury.
- post game interviews at Canes PR.com.