For the second night in a row, the Carolina Hurricanes had a tough third period and allowed multiple goals as they dropped their second straight preseason game, this time by a 5-2 score to the Buffalo Sabres.
Anton Khudobin went the distance for the Canes and allowed the five goals on 29 shots.
After the game, coach Kirk Muller stated that he was still evaluating players, so there is no panic in the Carolina dressingroom.
Zach Boychuk opened the scoring with a goal late in the first period on a nice play by Radek Dvorak and Patrick Dwyer.
After the Sabres tied things up, Chris Terry got a goal 12:41 into the second period.
But the home team would tie things up late in the second and then dominate the scoreboard in the third.
The Hurricanes traveled to Quebec City after the game for the first of a back-to-back series with the Canadiens.
- The team went 0-5 on the powerplay.
- They were called for fewer penalties this night, just one on Brett Bellemore for roughing. They killed off that one chance for Buffalo.
- It was a bad night statistically for the line of Skinner, (-3), Welsh (-4), and Gerbe (-3).
- Dvorak had two assists and a (+1).
- Carolina won 39% of the game's faceoffs.
- The Canes had 36 shots on goal, led by Brett Sutter with five.
- (I did not watch this one, recap is posted from listening and stat reports)
- Listen to the coach's post game presser at the following link: Kirk Muller 9/19/13