The Columbus Blue Jackets exploded for four goals in the third period to take over a close game and defeated the Carolina Hurricanes, 6-3 in preseason action in Columbus on Wednesday night. The loss gives the Canes a 1-4 record this preseason with their final home exhibition game coming up on Friday night against the Sabres at the PNC
Victor Rask had a big game for the visitors and scored two goals and added an assist in this contest.
After the Jackets took a 1-0 lead in the first period, the Hurricanes, who were fielding a roster of mostly youngsters, scored twice to take a 2-1 lead in the second. The home team would tie it up later in the second period though, before their third period scoring spree.
After the Jackets scored twice early in the third, Rask would score his second of the game to make the score, 4-3 during a powerplay. The Canes are now 6 for 24 with the man advantage in this preseason.
The Jackets closed things our with two more goals, one of them an empty-netter. Anton Khudobin went the distance and stopped 26 of 31 shots.
The Hurricanes were outshot 32-26 for the game.
Coach Peters said after the game that there would be some cuts either tonight or tomorrow and the team would soon be down to one group and a more manageable number.
- Gleason, Bellemore, and Sutter finished the night at -3.
- Rask, Jordan, and Gerbe had +1. Jordan had a two point night and scored the other goal. Gerbe had two assists.
- Rask, who has led the team all preseason in faceoff percentage, was 50% this game, (11-22). Jay McClement won 67% in this one, (10-15).
- John-Michael Liles led the team with four shots on goal.
- Rasmus Rissanen had a team high four hits and two blocked shots.
- Stat sheet
- Peters post game interview