Jiri Tlusty scored a hat-trick, including two powerplay goals, in the loss.
While the Canes powerplay is doing very well this young season, the penalty kill has struggled big time.
The Islanders jumped out to a 1-0 lead just 3:50 into the game on a powerplay goal by John Tavares.
Tlusty tied the score with a powerplay goal later in the period, but the Islanders would take the lead again just 31 seconds later when Cory Conacher scored.
Once again, Tlusty tied the score with the man advantage with just 17 seconds left in the opening period.
The second period was not a good one for Carolina as the Islanders scored twice, their last goal with just 4 seconds left. The Canes could only muster five shots on goal for the period.
In the third period, Tlusty would make things interesting with another goal, but that would be it for the Canes.
This was a physical game as Jay Harrison got called for an instigator for fighting Matt Martin midway through the second period.
The injury bug keeps biting the team as Eric Staal had to leave the game early due to an upper body concern. Patrick Dwyer also left with a lower body concern. There was no update on either's status.
The Canes will take tomorrow off and will next face the Buffalo Sabres in a nationally televised game on Tuesday night.
- The team was outshot 31-24. Tlusty had a team high five shots on goal.
- Brad Malone had a team high six hits. Nathan Gerbe was next with four.
- Andrej Sekera had a team best 26:57 of ice time. He also led Carolina with three blocked shots.
- Staal picked up his 400th career assist on a pretty pass to Tlusty for his second goal.
- Coach Peters post game interview: Peters 10 11 14
- Event Summary
(Three game thread comments of note:)