Number To Know
9 — Straight season openers Cam Ward will have started for Carolina when he heads between the pipes Friday at PNC Arena. Ward was named the game’s starter Thursday by new coach Bill Peters.
He hasn't had great success, however, boasting a 2-3-3 record in those games. Ward last won a season-opening game in 2010 when Carolina topped Minnesota 4-3 in the first of two NHL Premiere games in Finland. Here is a look at the results of the first game of the year for the last eight campaigns with Ward in net:
- 2013 — 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit
- 2012 — 5-1 loss to Florida
- 2011 — 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay
- 2010 — 4-3 win over Minnesota
- 2009 — 2-0 loss to Philadelphia
- 2008 — 6-4 win over Florida
- 2007 — 3-2 overtime loss to Montreal
- 2006 — 3-2 shootout loss to Buffalo
Ward also played in the opener of his rookie season in 2005, coming in for an injured Martin Gerber to start the third period in a 5-2 loss over the defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning. Ward allowed just one goal in the no decision and got the start in the home opener vs. Pittsburgh two nights later. Ward stopped Mario Lemieux, Zigmund Palffy and fellow rookie Sidney Crosby in the shootout to earn his first NHL win.