Carolina Hurricanes vs Columbus Blue Jackets
November 7, 2014 - 7:00 pm ET
PNC Arena - Raleigh, NC
TV - Fox Sports Carolinas
Radio - 99.9 FM The Fan
SB Nation Rival Blog - The Cannon
|Division Rank||7th Metrp||8th Metro|
|Conference Rank||14th EC||15th EC|
|Streak||Won 3||Lost 6|
|Power Play %||18.4%||20.4%|
|Penalty Kill %||79.0%||78.6%|
|ES Goals For %||39.0%||39.1%|
|ES Corsi For %||50.5%||49.1%|
|ES Save Percentage||.893||.886|
|ES Save Percentage||.891||.952|
- The big story is that every Canes fan's favorite Columbus player, Jack Johnson, will be out of the line-up tonight after receiving a three-game suspension for his illegal check to Jiri Tlusty's head in Tuesday's game. In case you missed it, the DoPS video does an outstanding job explaining the rationale behind the suspension.
- Tlusty did skate yesterday in practice, but in a no-contact jersey. He's expected to be in the line-up tonight, but confirmation will come after today's morning skate. If he's not able to skate, Brad Malone will draw back in. There were no changes to the forward lines from Tuesday's game.
- Tim Gleason did not practice yesterday, and there was no update to his status after practice. If he's unable to play, expect John-Michael Liles to take his spot on defense.
- Cam Ward will be back in net for his fifth consecutive start. The Canes face another back-to-back scenario this weekend, heading to DC to take on the Capitals Saturday night. Ward will be evaluated after tonight's game and a decision will be made then as to tomorrow's netminder.
- The most concerning statistic for the Columbus Blue Jackets is the six-game losing streak. The Blue Jackets are a team decimated by injuries, but they are hard-working and physical. It's difficult to believe they won't break through with a win some time soon.
- While the Jackets are losing Jack Johnson, they're getting back James Wisniewski, who was activated from IR yesterday after suffering a broken index finger on October 28. Ryan Murray (who was not in the line-up Tuesday) has been moved to IR to accommodate Wisniewski's return.
- Nick Foligno continues to have the hot mits, scoring both goals in Tuesday's loss. He leads the team with 6 goals.
- The Blue Jackets haven't named their starting goaltender.
There's not a lot else that is new going into tonight's game, so how about a few AWESOME clips.
- Bill Peters was interviewed yesterday on Hockey This Morning. [SiriusXMNHL]
- Ron Francis was interviewed yesterday on Hockey Central @ Noon (requisite height/weight/body fat stats report on Jordan Staal) [SportsNet.ca]
- Great feature on Jay Harrison from Chantel McCabe, making her WRITING debut [ch.com]
- NHL COO John Collins says ads on jerseys are coming [theScore]
- An update on the evolution of hockey's analytics movement, from a bit of an unusual source [Rolling Stone]
Coach Brind'Amour with his 2-year old son Brooks. pic.twitter.com/XXGoTfMMDA— Chantel McCabe (@NHLChantel) November 6, 2014
- Adorable Part 2:
- Best tweet/hashtag/meme-buster evar:
YOOOOOOOO #alexfromcarolina pic.twitter.com/Ra2mMJM1TI— Carolina Hurricanes (@NHLCanes) November 6, 2014
Hurricanes (from yesterday's practice)
Injuries and Scratches: Jordan Staal (IR broken fibula), John-Michael Liles (healthy), Brad Malone (healthy)
Blue Jackets (from yesterday's practice)
Injuries: Nathan Horton (back), Brandon Dubinsky (IR, abdominal surgery), Sergei Bobrovsky (IR, broken finger), James Wisniewski (IR, broken finger), Artem Anisimov (IR, concussion), Mark Letestu (IR, groin), Cody Goloubef (IR, right knee), Ryan Murray (IR, knee)
It's Hockey Fights Cancer Night in the arena. Pick up a card on the concourse and show the world who you fight for. The Canes are in their black jerseys again tonight. Both teams are scheduled to skate this morning. Stay tuned for updates, and see you at the rink.