The Carolina Hurricanes had 40 shots on goal, 33 blocked by the opposition, and missed the net 21 times, for a total of 94 shot attempts, but could only get one that counted as they lost their third straight game, 2-1 against the New Jersey Devils at the PNC on Monday night.
The Devils had an official 16 shots on goal but got a goal and an assist by Jaromir Jagr who was playing in his 1500th career NHL game. The Canes blocked 13 of their attempts and Jersey missed the net 13 times for a total of 42 attempts.
Cam Ward made 14 saves on 16 shots for the home team while Cory Schneider had 39 saves for Jersey.
After a scoreless first period, Justin Faulk got Carolina on the board 7:11 into the second with a pretty snap shot as he joined the play. It was the defenseman's fourth of the season.
The Devils would come back quickly though. First, Jagr beat Ward with a nifty wrister from in front, then the elder statesman set up Adam Henrique who got a step on his defender when he broke to the net.
The visitors only had one shot on goal the entire third period, but they blocked everything they could and cleared the puck when they needed to. Try as they might, the Canes could not get another puck past Schneider.
This important homestand for Carolina turned into a disaster as the team finished with a 1-4-0 record. Next up will be the Lightning in Tampa Bay on Thursday.
- After their hot start to November, the Canes are 3-10-0 in their last 13. They are last in the East and tied with the Oilers for last in the NHL.
- Of their 40 shots on goal, Skinner led the way with five. Rask, Gerbe, and Dwyer had four each.
- Faulk led the team with 26:51 of ice time. Low man was Brad Malone with 6:48.
- After being injured the previous night and being questionable for this contest, Eric Staal did play this game and had two shots on goal while winning 50% of his faceoffs.
- Registering just 12 hits the previous night, the Canes had 22 this time around. They were led by Dwyer with four. The Devils had 29 led by Ruutu with five.
- Event Summary stat sheet