Carolina Hurricanes (3-2-0) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (3-4-0)
October 2, 2015 – 7:00 pm ET
PNC Arena – Raleigh, NC
TV – n/a
Radio – WRALSportsFan.com website and mobile app
SB Nation Rival Blog – Pensburgh
- Bill Peters wants tonight's lineup to be close to the opening night roster, so that likely means more veterans and fewer young prospects as the roster is finalized after this morning's pregame skate. The forward lines skated at yesterday's practice the same way they played Wednesday night. On defense, James Wisniewski will likely draw in after missing several practices (reported minor groin issue). Ron Hainsey did not practice yesterday so his status is still unknown. Cam Ward is the confirmed starter in net.
- Speaking of the Canes blue line, yesterday defensemen Justin Faulk, John-Michael Liles, and James Wisniewski announced the launch of a new program geared toward honoring local military personnel. "True Defenders" will provide a game night experience for military members and their families.
- The Penguins are also playing their preseason finale tonight, their eighth game. They lost 7-2 to the Red Wings in Pittsburgh Wednesday night, and reportedly flew into Raleigh afterwards for a 'team building' event yesterday. Any changes to their lineup from Wednesday's game will be reported after their pregame skate today. There will probably be quite a few, since the Pens were coming off a back-to-back scenario on Wednesday, several of their regulars did not play, and a few players in Wednesday's lineup have been returned to their AHL affiliate. Expect the line of Evgeni Malkin, Patric Hornqvist, and Sergei Plotnikov to be back in action, and Marc-Andre Fleury is probable to start in net.
- There is no league-mandated overtime period in effect tonight.
- There is also no television broadcast again tonight, so either listen to the radio stream or get thee to the arena. Good seats are still available. Be smart and don't try to outsmart Mother Nature (or Joaquin) if the waters start to rise. Good thing we have Noah, eh?
Lineups (Updated as of 1:00 pm)
Kris Versteeg - Eric Staal – Elias Lindholm
Nathan Gerbe - Jordan Staal – Riley Nash
Jeff Skinner – Victor Rask – Chris Terry
Andrej Nestrasil – Jay McClement – Joakim Nordstrom
Michal Jordan - Justin Faulk
John-Michael Liles - James Wisniewski
Noah Hanifin - Ryan Murphy
Scratches: Haydn Fleury, Ron Hainsey, Brad Malone, Brock McGinn, Brett Pesce, Derek Ryan, Jaccob Slavin
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Phil Kessel
Sergei Plotnikov - Evgeny Malkin - Patric Hornqvist
Pascal Dupuis - Nick Bonino - Daniel Sprong
Bobby Farnham - Matt Cullen - David Perron
Rob Scuderi - Olli Maatta
Ian Cole - Kris Letang
Derrick Pouliot - Adam Clendening - Brian Dumoulin (all rotating)
Storm Debris (random clicks for your Friday morning reading/listening pleasure)
- Bill Peters post-practice media scrum 10/1/15 [CH.com].
- Peters says it's time to move forward [TriangleSportsNet].
- Jordan Staal would like to score more goals (especially against his former team) [N&O].
- Jaccob Slavin is edging closer to his goal [N&O].
- Canes hope to carry winning high through preseason finale [CH.com].
- Section328 will drop their latest podcast later this morning, featuring guest Mike Maniscalco and previewing the season, check it out on their website or your favorite podcast app [Section 328].
- Penguins look to add Crosby, Malkin to penalty kill (with a stick tap to Jordan Staal) [Post-Gazette].
- Penguins top-line winger could be a revolving door [Post-Gazette].
- Malkin's line coming together [Pens.com].
- Need an emergency backup goalie? You might want to consider someone besides Jeff Skinner.
- CanesVision is bringing a few changes to the in-arena experience this season, and along with that comes the possibility of a new goal song. They tried this one out Wednesday night. What do you think?