Cam Ward allowed six goals on 21 shots for the losers.
If you are looking for good news, the Pens pretty much played their "A" team while the Canes had a mixed lineup. The Carolina defense accounted for two goals as James Wisniewski and Justin Faulk each lit the lamp.
Both teams finished with 31 shots on goal.
Phil Kessel, Sidney Crosby, Olli Maatta, Sergei Gonchar, and Kris Letang were among the goal scorers for Pittsburgh.
Jeff Skinner was the other scorer for the Canes.
Rasmus Tirronen replaced Ward midway through the second period and stopped nine of the 10 shots he faced.
The Hurricanes will return home and then fly to Canada for a pair of games this weekend in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
- The Canes went 0-4 on the powerplay and were 2-6 on the kill.
- The line of Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, and Skinner reportedly showed good chemistry at times. Lindholm had two assists, Skinner a goal, and Rask was +1.
- Faulk led the way with 25:44 of ice time, scored a goal, had three shots on goal, and had a team high six hits.
- Noah Hanifin was next with over 23 minutes of ice time, played in all situations, had an assist, two blocked shots, and a team high two takeaways.
- Jaccob Slavin was +1, had an assist, three shots on goal, and a team high three blocked shots.
- Nathan Gerbe had a team best four shots on goal.
- event summary