For the second year in a row, defenseman Justin Faulk has been chosen to represent the Carolina Hurricanes at the NHL All Star Game. His resume this season speaks for itself:
- Leads all NHL skaters this season in power play goals (12).
- Became the first NHL defenseman in history to score his first twelve goals of the season on the power play.
- Is second among all NHL defensemen in total goals (14).
- Tied for second in the NHL in game-winning goals (4).
- Tied for third in the NHL in total power play points (15).
- Leads the Hurricanes in scoring with 30 points (14g, 16a) through 40 games.
- Through 40 games has matched a franchise record for most power play goals in a season by a defensemen (Risto Siltanen, 1983-84).
- At age 23, serves as alternate captain leading a defensive corps that includes three rookie defenseman and holds the NHL's best record for shots against per game (26.1).
In addition to his performance this season, Faulk has represented Team USA in multiple international tournaments including the 2014 Winter Olympics. The team press release follows. The full NHL All-Star Game roster can be found here.
Congratulations to Justin Faulk on his well-deserved honor!
JUSTIN FAULK SELECTED FOR 2016 NHL ALL-STAR GAME
Defenseman is tied for the NHL lead in power-play goals
RALEIGH, NC - The National Hockey League today announced that Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk will represent the Metropolitan Division at the 2016 NHL All-Star Weekend, to be held from Jan. 30-31 in Nashville, TN. It marks the second consecutive All-Star appearance for the 23-year-old defenseman.
Faulk leads the Hurricanes in scoring with 30 points (14g, 16a) in 40 games this season. The South St. Paul, MN, native leads all NHL skaters this season in power-play goals (12) and became the first player in NHL history to score his first 12 goals of the season on the power play. He has also already matched the franchise record for most power-play goals in a season by a defenseman (Risto Siltanen, 1983-84), and ranks second among NHL defensemen in goals (14), tied for fourth in points (30), first in power-play goals (12), tied for third in power-play points (15) and tied for second in game-winning goals (4).
Selected by the Hurricanes in the second round, 37th overall, in the 2010 NHL entry draft, Faulk (6'0", 215 lbs.) has totaled 47 goals and 101 assists (148 points) in 302 career NHL games with Carolina. He appeared in his first career NHL All-Star Game in Columbus last season, and has represented the United States in a dozen international tournaments, including the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.
The Hurricanes conclude a two-game road trip on Wednesday in Vancouver (10 p.m., FOX Sports Carolinas, Hurricanes Radio Network). Carolina then returns home to host the Columbus Blue Jackets at PNC Arena on Friday at 7 p.m. For information about Hurricanes ticket packages, please visit www.CarolinaHurricanes.com/tickets, or call 1-866-NHL-CANES (1-866-645-2263).