Carolina Hurricanes (1-2-2) at Detroit Red Wings (4-2-0)
October 25, 2016 - 7:30 p.m.
Joe Louis Arena – Detroit, Michigan
Fox Sports Carolinas | 99.9 The Fan
SB Nation rival blog: Winging It In Motown
- The very long two week season opening road trip will finally draw to an end for the Carolina Hurricanes after their game against the Red Wings. Everyone on the team has to be ready to come home to PNC Arena, but must be careful to not look past a very good Detroit team.
- This important matchup gives the Canes a chance to come home with 6 out of a possible 12 points from the road trip and sit at .500 coming home to the Caniacs. A win over Detroit would help classify the trip as decent and acceptable. However, a loss in regulation would have many saying the team failed out west in October yet again.
- Jeff Skinner was held out of practice Monday as a precaution as the team waits on test results and will be a game time decision against Detroit. Bill Peters shrugged off concerns of a concussion assuring members of the media that there was no issue in that regards. Skinner was later spotted in the weight room Monday afternoon and will travel with the team to Motown.
- If Skinner is unable to go look for Martin Frk to get his second game of the season. Peters may choose to insert Frk in to the lineup anyway considering Detroit is the team that placed him on waivers him less than a month ago.
- Only 3 players in the NHL have more goals so far this season than Lee Stempniak. Paired with Victor Rask and Jeff Skinner the trio has made up a legitimate first line that Detroit will look to shut down. Should Skinner be held out it will be interesting to see how the line fairs with whomever Peters chooses to slot there.
- This will be the final time the Hurricanes visit Joe Louis Arena for a regular season matchup. The Red Wings are expected to move in to a new arena downtown starting next season. The Canes hold a 10-21-7-1 record in 39 regular season games played at Joe Louis Arena.
- After a great rookie season Dylan Larkin has had little impact so far for the Red Wings this season only registering one assist. The Canes need to make sure that they don’t allow him to have a break out game against them.
- Detroit figures to be a team that the Hurricanes will be challenging for a playoff spot come late March in to early April so every game against the Wings will be pivotal. The Canes need good goaltending and defense to step up and help ensure the right shade of red comes out on top.
- There was a new, yet oddly familiar, passenger on the Canes’ plane to Detroit yesterday: Mike Maniscalco makes his debut tonight as the pregame host and in-game reporter. To say he’s a bit excited for his new venture is somewhat of an understatement. I mean, he’s tweeting a rec league game:
At the Joe. Some rec league hockey the day before the @NHLCanes hit the ice. pic.twitter.com/fJSYsp91Gx— Mike Maniscalco (@mikemaniscalco) October 24, 2016