- It’s a pretty cool thing to be on the national stage for a preseason game, and the Carolina Hurricanes and Buffalo Sabres will have that special privilege on Tuesday night for the annual Kraft Hockeyville game. This year’s winner of an NHL preseason game is Lakeview Arena in Marquette, Michigan.
- It will be an exciting time for everyone involved, especially those who are in that area and get to experience NHL talent on a hometown rink, but it will be business as usual for head coach Bill Peters and his staff ahead of what will likely be big training camp cuts later this week.
- The Hurricanes got blown out of Xcel Energy Center on Sunday night as they iced a largely Charlotte-bound roster against a lineup full of NHL regulars from the Minnesota Wild.
- Given that Carolina’s training camp roster is still at a lengthy 46 players, expect a very different roster on Tuesday, one that will likely include several NHLers. With just three preseason games remaining, we will likely start to see lineups that will emulate what we see come opening night.
- Michael Leighton and Alex Nedeljkovic got the goaltending duties against the Wild on Sunday, so one of Cam Ward or Eddie Lack will likely get the cage in Marquette.
- The Sabres are 1-2-1 in preseason action. They are coming off of a brutal 8-1 loss at the hands of Mitch Marner and the Toronto Maple Leafs on Friday.
- Tuesday’s game will be aired on NBCSN.
Rosters will likely be announced following morning skate.
After going with a young, inexperienced roster on Sunday, Bill Peters may opt to go with a more NHL-ready roster on national television. Peters has yet to see 2016 first round draft picks with his own eyes in preseason action, so Julien Gauthier and Jake Bean may be thrown into the lineup on Tuesday.
- Yet again, the Canes’ non-nationally televised games (which are all but one) will all be on FOX Sports Carolinas or Southeast this season. New this year, as we posted earlier this summer: they’ll be available on FOX Sports GO for authenticated users as well. [Hurricanes, and see this streaming FAQ]
- In the first pre-season edition of the Canes Corner Podcast, Adam Gold and John Forslund peruse the roster and talk youth movement, defensive pairings and goaltending. In other words, the usual. [WRALSportsFan]
- The Cheaters Never Win Podcast says hello to Shane Willis, Pete Jensen of NHL.com, and beer. In that order. [Section 328]
- A few photos from Friday's preseason game at PNC Arena. [SmugMug]
- Why did the Lightning cut James Wisniewski? [Tampa Bay Times]
- Jim Rutherford tells you all that you don't know about being a GM. [Player's Tribune]
- At age 35 and on the back nine of his journeyman career, Michael Leighton is looking for another shot at the NHL. [N&O]
- Triangle Special Hockey Association is hosting a Casino Night fundraiser to benefit Carolina Sled Hockey on November 4 at Big Boss Brewing Company in Raleigh. [TSHA] [Facebook]
- 2016-17 Season Predictions: so you’re saying there’s a chance. [HockeyViz]
- From Raleigh AP writer Joedy McCreary via the Washington Post, the Canes are hoping their forwards take the same step forward as the defensemen did last year. [WaPo]
- Hurricanes, Predators, Jets among the likely risers in the NHL this season [The Province].
- Finally, Halloween is right around the corner, and Wardo's new pirate skeleton mask is scarier than ever: