The NHL and Las Vegas welcomed its 31st franchise officially on Tuesday night, unveiling the new logo and nickname for the first major-league franchise to call Nevada home.
As we were all expecting, the Las Vegas club will be called the Las Vegas Place Holders.
wat pic.twitter.com/dV4f9UqUjp— Marina Molnar (@mkmolnar) November 23, 2016
Wait, no, that's not right.
Anyway, say hello to the
Las Vegas Golden Knights, who look forward to spirited rivalries with the Angeles Kings and Jose Sharks, which sounds like a brand of tequila the more I think about it.
"The Vegas Golden Knights team name and logo embody this great city and the mission of our team. When people see it, we want them to say 'These guys never give up. These guys are going to win'," said owner Bill Foley.
As opposed to, say, the infamous Wild Wing jersey from years gone by, which people saw and said “Hey, this looks like a tie-in to a Disney movie!”
And if you were playing Major NHL Event Bingo this evening, congratulations on earning a bingo in the first ten minutes of the event:
- Booing Gary Bettman? Check. (Welcome to the NHL, Las Vegas!!!!)
- Promise of an eventual All-Star Game? Check.
- Owner promising that the team will perform better than the unveiling video? Check.
- Booing Gary Bettman again as the techies tried to figure out what the hell was happening with the video? Check.
- Master of ceremonies calling the team the “something Knights” before the team name was revealed? Check.
- The owner promising a Stanley Cup within six years? Check - and make sure @OldTakesExposed hears about this.
In other words, your standard issue NHL event. Congratulations, Las Vegas, and get pumped for your future home, as-yet-unknown current Carolina Hurricanes player.