Carolina Hurricanes at New York Rangers
Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2016 – 7:00 pm ET
Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
Watch: FOX Sports Carolinas - FOX Sports Go app
Listen: 99.9 The Fan - WRALSportsFan app
SB Nation Rival Blog: Blueshirt Banter
|Division Rank||7th Metro||1st Metro|
|Conference Rank||T12 EC||2nd EC|
|Last 10 Games||6-3-1||5-4-1|
|Streak||Won 1||Lost 1|
|ES Corsi For %||53.1%||46.4%|
|Power Play % (Rank)||20.3% (T9)||20.3% (T9)|
|Penalty Kill % (Rank)||91.1% (1)||85.0% (9)|
|ES Save %||.919||.920|
|ES Save %||.957||.936|
- Jordan Staal left the game against the Florida Panthers with a concussion on Sunday and has been placed on injured reserve. To fill Staal’s spot on the roster, the Canes recalled Phil Di Giuseppe from the Charlotte Checkers. After being sent down on Nov. 11, Di Giuseppe scored two goals and earned five assists in eight games with the Checkers, and led the team in assists and points in that span.
- Michael Leighton earned his first win since December 30, 2010 on Sunday, in his first NHL start since January 17, 2013. The veteran goalie also notched his fourth career assist on Jeff Skinner’s game-tying goal.
- Leighton’s gap between wins (5 years, 333 days) is the longest between two NHL victories by any goaltender since Kay Whitmore went more than six-and-a-half years from 1994 to 2000 between victories. Leighton obviously made a good impression in his first start in two years. The question is, what will the Canes be doing with Eddie Lack now?
- In the last 13 games, Carolina has killed off 28 of the 29 penalties they have faced. The Hurricanes are ranked first in the league in penalty kill percentage (91.1%), killing off 51 of 56 penalties this season and 3 of 4 against the Panthers.
- Following his assist on Jeff Skinner’s goal on Sunday, Victor Rask is within two points of reaching 100 for his career.
- In a quirk of the schedule, the Canes make their two visits to MSG this season twice in the span of four days. They visit the Rangers again on Saturday afternoon, following a stop in Boston on Thursday. After Saturday’s meeting, the two clubs won’t meet until March 9 at PNC Arena.
- Skinner is currently on a 2 game point streak (1g, 2a) and leads the team with 19 points in 20 games.
- The Senators, who beat the Canes 2-1 last week, shut out the Rangers 2-0 on Sunday. The Hurricanes’ two tightly-contested matchups against the Senators this season and the Rangers’ cool down could give them a mental edge going into tonight's game.
- The Canes are hoping to break their 10-game road losing streak against the Rangers. The Hurricanes have not won in New York since Oct. 29, 2010, and are 0-7-3 at MSG since that win. New York won the 2015-16 season series 3-1-0.
- Derek Ryan scored his first goal of the season, which turned out to be the game-winner, on the power play in Sunday’s win over Florida. Ryan notched his first NHL assist at Toronto on Nov. 22. It’s a small sample size, but the Hurricanes are 2-0-0 this season in games when Ryan registers a point.