Sunday, December 4, 2016 - 5:00 PM
Fox Sports Carolinas, Buzz Sports Radio, WRALSportsFanApp
Rival SB Nation Blog - Raw Charge
|Division Rank||7 Metro||4 Atlantic|
|Conference Rank||14 EC||8 EC|
|Last 10 Games||5-4-1||5-5-0|
|Streak||Loss 3||Win 1|
|ES Corsi For %||53.2%||49.6%|
|Power Play % (Rank)||19.7% (11)||24.2% (1)|
|Penalty Kill % (Rank)||90.6% (1)||81.4% (22)|
|ES Save %||.921||.907|
|ES Save %||.893||.930|
- The Hurricanes will take home ice tonight after a disappointing three-game road swing plagued by inability to finish hockey games. In 2 of the 3 games, Carolina carried a lead into the third period and could not hold on for a W.
- Jordan Staal will miss his 4th game tonight as he works through a concussion. The alternate captain is on IR and there is no time table for his return.
- The Hurricanes managed just 5 goals on this week's brief three-game road trip. Inability to consistently generate offense has plagued this team for years and we can see what kind of impact it has on the team's success.
- Carolina continues to have the best penalty kill unit in hockey with a PK% of 90.6. Part of their success can be attributed to the fact that they have only conceded 64 penalties; that's third fewest in the NHL.
- The Lightning dominated the 2015-16 season series against Carolina, going 3-0-0. The Hurricanes only managed one loser's point in the three games. The Hurricanes outshot the Lightning 93-79 but still only tallied 8 goals to Tampa Bay's 12.
- The Hurricanes are 50-46-18-1 all time against the formal division rival Lightning, including a 30-19-9-1 record at home.
- This is Carolina's third back-to-back situation so far this season; they will play 16 of them in total.
- Cam Ward is expected to be back between the pipes tonight after backup Michael Leighton started yesterday in New York Look for Ward to maintain his recent impressive form tonight against a dangerous offensive club.
- The Hurricanes will take off for the west coast after tonight's game where they will take on three Pacific Division opponents. The slipping Canes need a positive result tonight to give them confidence going into a tough three-game road swing.
- Like last Sunday, the Carolina Panthers have a late afternoon game, so they are on 99.9 The Fan and the Canes are shuttled off to Buzz Sports Radio (96.5/99.3/620 AM) today.
Lines and Rosters
Neither team held a morning skate based on the back-to-back situation, but here's what you can expect to see tonight:
Jeff Skinner - Victor Rask - Elias Lindholm
Sebastian Aho - Teuvo Teravainen - Lee Stempniak
Brock Mcginn - Derek Ryan - Phil Di Giuseppe
Joakim Nordstrom - Jay McClement - Viktor Stalberg
Ron Hainsey - Justin Faulk
Jaccob Slavin - Brett Pesce
Noah Hanifin - Matt Tennyson
Injuries and Scratches: Bryan Bickell (multiple sclerosis), Jordan Staal (IR Concussion), Andrej Nestrasil (healthy), Klas Dahlbeck (healthy)
Ondrej Palat - Tyler Johnson - Nikita Kucherov
Brayden Point - Valtteri Filppula - Alex Killorn
Michael Bournival - Vladislav Namestnikov - Brian Boyle
Jonathan Drouin - Cedric Paquette - Joel Vermin
Victor Hedman - Anton Stralman
Braydon Coburn - Luke Witkowski
Andrej Sustr - Slater Koekkoek
Injuries and Scratches: Ryan Callahan (Lower Body Injury), Jason Garrison (Lower Body Injury), Steven Stamkos (knee)