Carolina Hurricanes vs Tampa Bay Lightning
February 21, 2016 - 7:00 pm ET
PNC Arena - Raleigh, NC
Fox Sports Carolinas - 99.9 FM - WRALSportsFan app
SB Nation Rival Blog - Raw Charge
|Division Rank||6 Metro||3 Atlantic|
|Conference Rank||10 EC||6 EC|
|Last 10 Games||6-2-2||6-4-0|
|Streak||Won 1||Won 2|
|ES Goals For %||47.5%||52.6%|
|ES Corsi For %||53.1%||52.4%|
|Power Play % (Rank)||17.7% (23)||17.5% (24)|
|Penalty Kill % (Rank)||82.1% (12)||82.5% (9)|
|ES Save %||.916||.928|
|ES Save %||.907||.920|
*Stats from NHL.com and War on Ice
- The Canes and Lightning face off today for the second of three games this season. On Nov. 1 the teams met in Raleigh and the Lightning emerged with a 4-3 victory. They have won 10 of the last 13 games played at PNC Arena.
- The Canes enter today two points back of Pittsburgh (who has two games in hand) for the final wild card spot, four points behind Islanders for third spot in Metro (also with two games in hand). They also need to leap the Devils who are currently one point ahead.
- The Lightning played in a matinee in Pittsburgh yesterday and defeated the Penguins 4-2 to break a nine-game regular season losing streak dating back to March 31, 2010. Steven Stamkos scored his 300th career NHL goal, Matt Carle scored his first two points of the season (goal, assist), and Vladislav Namestnikov earned an assist in his first game back after missing two games with an upper body injury. Ben Bishop made 37 saves. Cedric Paquette was injured late in the third period when he blocked a shot off his left foot/leg. His status for tonight is unknown.
- With back-to-back games the Lightning may not hold a morning skate today. Head coach Jon Cooper has not named a starting goaltender, though Andrei Vasilevskiy will likely get the call since Bishop was in net yesterday. Vasilevskiy was in net for the win in November, his only prior start against Carolina. UPDATE 12:50 pm: Ben Bishop has been confirmed in net for the Lightning. Cedric Paquette should be in the lineup as well. The Lightning did not hold a full practice so no other changes to the lineup were reported.
- After back-to-back games culminating in a 5-2 win over the Sharks Friday, the Canes had a scheduled day off yesterday. There is no recent update on the status of Justin Faulk, who has missed the last five games with a lower body injury. Head coach Bill Peters previously suggested that Faulk would need a full practice with the team before deciding when he could return, so stay turned for news on that front after the morning skate (10:30 am, closed to the public for a season ticket holder event). UPDATE 12:50 pm: Faulk skated but did not participate in line rushes. He is still listed as day-to-day though he is scheduled to take warmups tonight.
- Cam Ward is expected to repeat in the crease tonight; 6-0-4 in his last 10 starts with a 1.90 GAA. Jordan Staal (3g, 3a) and Riley Nash (3g, 2a) have points in four straight games, Joakim Nordstrom and Victor Rask have points in two straight, and Eric Staal has 70 points (33g, 37a) in 65 career games against the Lightning.
- Broadcast note: Canes fans will be without the services of John Forslund on tonight's broadcast. Forslund is covering the Penguins/Sabres game for the NBC national broadcast. JP Dellacamera will step in for play-by-play duties. Dellacamera called games for the Atlanta Thrashers for five seasons and is currently a broadcaster for the Philadelphia Union MLS team.
Hurricanes (vs Sharks 2/19)
Kris Versteeg - Eric Staal - Phillip Di Giuseppe
Joakim Nordstrom - Jordan Staal - Andrej Nestrasil
Jeff Skinner - Victor Rask - Elias Lindholm
Chris Terry - Jay McClement - Riley Nash
Jaccob Slavin - Ron Hainsey
John-Michael Liles - Brett Pesce
Noah Hanifin - Michal Jordan
Injuries and scratches: James Wisniewski (IR ACL), Justin Faulk (lower body)
Lightning (2/20 vs Penguins)
Alex Killorn - Steven Stamkos - Ryan Callahan
Ondrej Palat - Tyler Johnson - Nikita Kucherov
Cedric Paquette - Valtteri Filppula - J.T. Brown
Vladislav Namestnikov - Brian Boyle - Jonathan Marchessault
Victor Hedman - Anton Stralman
Braydon Coburn - Andrej Sustr
Slater Koekkoek - Matthew Carle
- Canes Gameday Hub [CH.com].
- Scouts are circling as the Canes fight to stay in the hunt [N&O].
- This weekend the Lightning players and staff are hosting their fathers on the road trip. Here's a cool story about former teammates that found each other after 45 years [Tampa Tribune].