|Division Rank||6 Metro||5 Atlantic|
|Conference Rank||10 EC||11 EC|
|Last 10 Games||4-5-1||6-3-1|
|Streak||OT 1||Lost 1|
|ES Goals For %||46.5%||49.2%|
|ES Corsi For %||52.3%||47.6%|
|Power Play % (Rank)||17.4% (22)||17.5% (21)|
|Penalty Kill % (Rank)||83.0% (8)||73.8% (29)|
|ES Save %||.915||.926|
|ES Save %||.907||.934|
*Stats from NHL.com and War on Ice
- The Canes and Senators wrap up their three-game season series tonight. Each team has a prior win on home ice, and it was an exciting one in Raleigh back on Nov. 7 when Jeff Skinner tied the game with 3.3 seconds remaining and Jordan Staal gave the Canes the win in overtime.
- Tonight's game will be a rare early March appearance for the Canes as they head out for the next five games to make room for March Madness and Garth madness at PNC Arena. It's Public Safety Appreciation Night in the arena; check below for details on ticket and other promotions.
- Both teams come into the game well outside the playoff cut line (six points out of the last wild card spot), tied in points but with the Canes holding the slight edge due to a game in hand.
- With Jay McClement set to make his return after missing four games with an upper body injury, Derek Ryan was reassigned to Charlotte on Sunday, along with Brock McGinn. In McGinn's place, Brendan Woods gets his second call-up to the big stage. Woods played in two games for the Canes last season, but tonight will mark his home ice debut. He has 15 points (8g, 7a) in 48 games for the Checkers this season, and brings a big, physical presence to the lineup.
- In yesterday's post-practice remarks, head coach Bill Peters indicated that the team would continue to call up and evaluate players down the stretch, creating healthy internal competition for ice time. He also offered strong praise for Jeff Skinner, who has played some of his best hockey over the last week and has four points (2g, 2a) in his last three games.
- Cam Ward will get the start in net tonight; he has a 14-7-2 record with a 2.37 GAA and one shutout in 24 career appearances against Ottawa.
- The Senators have not been able to capture the same end-of-season miracle run that vaulted them into the playoffs last season. They recently lost Mark Borowiecki to an MCL injury, and goaltender Craig Anderson has missed the last three games with a lower body injury, though he is with the team here in Raleigh. They played back-to-back games over the weekend, winning in Toronto then losing to Dallas at home.
- Head coach Dave Cameron iced some bizarre forward lines in Sunday's game, moving the team's top two goal scorers, Mike Hoffman (25) and Bobby Ryan (22), off the team's top line and into the bottom six. The team held an optional practice yesterday, so it's to be determined if the line shuffling makes its way into tonight's game.
- Erik Karlsson leads the league in assists (57) and TOI/game (29:08). Mark Stone has nine points (2g, 7a) in his last seven games, and Zack Smith has four points (2g, 2a) in his last four games.
- Cameron has not announced his starting goaltender for tonight's game.
Hurricanes (3/8 morning skate)
Joakim Nordstrom - Jordan Staal - Elias Lindholm
Jeff Skinner - Victor Rask - Phillip Di Giuseppe
Nathan Gerbe - Riley Nash - Brad Malone
Brendan Woods - Jay McClement - Chris Terry
Jaccob Slavin - Ron Hainsey
Noah Hanifin - Brett Pesce
Michal Jordan - Ryan Murphy
Injuries and scratches: James Wisniewski (IR ACL), Justin Faulk (lower body), Andrej Nestrasil (fractured vertebra)
Senators (3/8 morning skate)
Zack Smith - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Mark Stone
Nick Paul - Mika Zibanejad - Alex Chiasson
Ryan Dzingel - Scott Gomez - Bobby Ryan
Mike Hoffman - Curtis Lazar - Chris Neil
Marc Methot - Erik Karlsson
Dion Phaneuf - Cody Ceci
Michael Kostka - Chris Wideman
Injuries and scratches: Mark Borowiecki (MCL), Kyle Turris (ankle), Craig Anderson (lower body), Chris Phillips (back), Clarke MacArthur (concussion), Matt Puempel (healthy), Patrick Wiercioch (healthy)
- Canes Gameday Hub [CH.com].
- Bill Peters post-practice media scrum [CH.com].
- Canes assign Brock McGinn and Derek Ryan to Charlotte [CanesPR] and recall Brendan Woods [CanesPR].
- Jeff Skinner contributes more than goals [N&O].
- Brendan Woods gets another look [CH.com].
- Another showdown between Dave Cameron and Mike Hoffman [TSN].
- Tonight is Public Safety Appreciation Night, with special ticket pricing and other promotions [CH.com Promotions].
- In addition to the recalls/reassignments, the Canes made some additional roster moves yesterday affecting the AHL Checkers. Dane Fox was acquired from Vancouver for future considerations [CH.com], or as some refer to him, Connor McDavid's former linemate [ProHockeyTalk]. Additionally, Zach Boychuk was loaned to Bakersfield (the Canes still retain his rights) in exchange for Andrew Miller [GoCheckers].