From the Coach
(On close games) We’ve been in enough of them, right? So we’re comfortable in that regard, and we’ve got more guys with more poise now, so we can play more guys coming down the stretch, and I think that’s important.
(On offensive balance) Yeah, it’s hard to shut them all down if they’re all firing and playing properly. There’s some offense on all four lines to be honest with you. Even the play Stalberg made to Nordy on the 2-on-1 was a good play and a good save. So, you want everyone to be dangerous and pushing the pace.
(On Skinner-Rask-Ryan line) They were dangerous. They were very good tonight. I think it helps a little bit with that lefty, righty taking faceoffs and starting with the puck a little bit more.
(On Lindholm) I thought he was very good. I thought he didn’t miss a beat. He got better every period, but he was playing very well when he went out, and that’s a credit to him to be able to come back and play at that level coming off that type of injury.
(On Ward) He’s got another day off tomorrow. He’s coming off a day off, play, day off. It’s just about managing him properly right now, and you know everyone’s talking about the fountain of youth or whatever it may be. He drank out of the fountain of youth all summer with our strength coach. He worked hard. He had a great summer.
From the Locker Room
It’s a good team, they’re gonna make pushes back. We made some good pushes too. It was back and forth, so it was a good game and we were fortunate enough to come out on top.
It’s always important to go to the net, and tonight was no different. I think, for myself, especially with all the breakaways I’ve missed as of late and all that stuff, it was nice to get one that maybe was a little bit more greasy than others. It’s always big to go to the net, that’s where goals are scored.
It’s a big win for us. Every night’s a big two points, it’s kind of the same stuff... It was fun to get the win and play well. Like I said, it was a back and forth game, it wasn’t like we completely dominated, that’s a good team, but we found ways to win.
(On Derek Ryan) He’s a veteran guy. He’s been around a long time, obviously he had some real good success overseas. I think you can see that kinda in his game. He’s smart and he’s got a lot of good poise with the puck... It’s been fun playing with him.
I though Wardo did a great job keeping us in it in the first. Obviously, that’s a good team over there. I think coming out in the second we wanted to build on some of the good things and I think we did a good job of getting in on the forecheck a little bit better.
I don’t think we had that many shots in the first... but you wanna create opportunities, you wanna get shots on net, and you wanna get them from good areas. I think (McGinn)’s goal was a good example... You wanna fight to get to the net and get good quality opportunities, and I think we did a better (job) of that as the game wore on.
When we play good we play fast, D’s doing quick ups and forwards are skating right in with the puck, so that’s something we’ve got to keep working on and be better at.
Obviously it’s more fun to be in it than a couple years ago when we were not in it... hopefully we can keep this going, play good at home and pick it up a little bit on the road.
(On playing Columbus three times in six games) It feels like playoffs... it’ll be fun. They’re the best team in the league so it will be fun to go up against them again.
(On team’s play at home) It’s been good at home here, it’s fun to get back to this rink.
- Cam Atkinson tallied his 20th goal of the season for the Blue Jackets. It was also his 40th point on the campaign. He’s quietly had an outstanding season, and he’s been shooting up the league leaderboard in scoring.
- It was a good night for an interesting special teams battle, as Carolina’s top-ranked penalty kill went toe-to-toe with Columbus’s top-ranked power play. Carolina’s unit won the night as they went 4-for-4 while shorthanded, surrendering just one shot on goal the whole night to Columbus’s potent offensive personnel.
- Cam Ward was shaken up a bit in the morning skate, but played the game tonight anyway. Through two periods, he had stopped just 11 of the 14 shots he had faced. He held the fort down in the third, stopping all 13 of Columbus’s opportunities, but his overall save percentage still wasn’t great for the night. With this being his 17th consecutive start, I think it would be prudent for the Hurricanes to get him a night off soon. His being overworked several years ago seems to have been a contributing factor in the statistical struggles he’s had in the several seasons leading up to this one.
- It was a big 3-point effort for center Victor Rask tonight, as he had produced just three points in the ten games prior to tonight. If he can get that offensive production going again, that will be a big help to Carolina’s playoff push down the stretch.
- Derek Ryan’s impressive season continued tonight as he notched two points for his fourth multi-point effort of the season. He’s now up to 17 points in 29 games on the season.