There’s a question every hockey fan asks during the offseason when missing out on watching hockey: is it October yet? Oh, it is, ladies and gentlemen. Carolina Hurricanes hockey will officially kick off the 2017-18 season this week with their home opener on Saturday against the Minnesota Wild.
To help get you excited, here’s some links to take a look at:
- Opening night roster decisions will have to be made this week before Saturday’s home opener. What will happen with ‘Canes rookie Martin Necas? [News & Observer]
- This season is quite unique. For the first time in 17 years, the NHL has an expansion team. Here’s a look at 5 keys for the Vegas Golden Knights in their first season. [NHL]
- The Charlotte Checkers earned a 5-2 win over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms last night. Warren Foegele scored 2 goals in the victory. [Charlotte Checkers]
- New York Arena Partners LLC has submitted a proposal for a new arena for the Islanders. The arena would be at Belmont Park in Queens if it goes through [ESPN]
- A group of NHL writers voted on who would take home the Hart Trophy this season. There are some surprises on the list including a certain forward from Columbus. My prediction: Connor McDavid with 110 points for the season. Who do you got? [NHL]