Update 12:20 p.m.
The Hurricanes have placed Phil Di Giuseppe on waivers, the first move in what’s anticipated to be a reassignment of at least three players to Charlotte by the 5:00 deadline tomorrow afternoon. Di Giuseppe being the only player on waivers indicates that the other roster cuts will be players who do not require waivers, likely indicating Janne Kuokkanen and Jake Bean will be cut, as well as either - or perhaps both - Martin Necas or Lucas Wallmark.
Lee Stempniak’s injury gives the Canes a bit of flexibility, as the team will likely move him to injured reserve and open up a spot for an additional player who may otherwise have been cut.
- Dave Strader, the Dallas Stars television play by play man who spent many years calling games for ESPN and NBC, died yesterday after a long fight with bile duct cancer. [Stars via Between the Blue Lines]
Thoughts and prayers to the family of Dave Strader. Family man and true pro. Loved and respected by those lucky enough to know him. #voice— John Forslund (@JohnForslund) October 1, 2017
- Bill Peters seemed to indicate yesterday that Haydn Fleury has won the sixth-defenseman competition, among other things.
- Oh look, Tom Wilson is still a piece of garbage. [Washington Post]
- The NHL generally doesn’t pay superstars what they’re worth, which tilts the field in favor of the teams that have them. [The Athletic ($)]
- If you missed it, Friday was Greg Wyshynski’s last day as the editor of Puck Daddy. [GregWyshynski.com]
- Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flame? Maybe. [TSN]