From the Coach
(On comments regarding Eddie Lack) That’s just being honest. You guys want it to be a competition for starts, and you gotta have competition for it to be a competition, correct? I can’t just give people stuff for free in pro sports, that’s not how it works.
(On carrying play but losing the game) Well we chased the game...we never scored early on them. Some good chances, but we never led.
(On needing more from the powerplay) Yeah, always. Especially while we were down by one, they scored and we got an opportunity on the power play, you’d love one there. You’d love one on the first (power play opportunity). The earlier you can get it in the game, the better. We only had two...we had one half way through the third that would have been huge.
(On leadership/captaincy and lack thereof) You don’t have to be the captain to lead the way. That much I know. In Tampa, the line that led the way...was the Palat, Johnson, Kucherov line. I don’t think their captain is on that line, but they were good. The line that gave us a hard time in Florida was the line of Huberdeau, Barkov, and Jagr. I believe the captain is MacKenzie.
(On net front presence) Yeah we weren’t at the net tonight at all. We weren’t hard enough for sure, throughout the lineup.
From the Room
(On creating energy) Well you gotta win more games at the end of the season...there’s no better atmosphere than chasing playoffs and chasing Stanley Cups so you win more games, the better the atmosphere is gonna get.
(On breaking through) It’s gotta be mistake free (hockey)...more intensity and more speed. And we gotta bury our chances, I think it’s exciting to get some shots on net but we gotta get around that net, get some greasy goals, get in front of the goalie’s eyes. All stuff we’ve gotten away from.
(On game-winning goal) We just gotta be smarter with the puck in the third there, we had an opportunity but got a little lackadaisical there at the end and it cost us the game.
(On managing frustration) Keep playing consistent. We’ve had spurts of our game where we’re dominating play, we just gotta play a full sixty like that.
We’re starting games better, but we gotta be able to push that through to the end.
(On going forward from here) Just taking it one day at a time, one game at a time. We have a lot of games every other day here and back-to-back, so we just gotta bring it every night and try to get the two points.
- Tonight was Jay McClement’s 900th NHL game. He earned one assist in his milestone outing.
- After Bill Peters’ fiery comments on Eddie Lack’s play earlier this morning, he seemed content with Cam Ward’s timeliness in terms of his saves, and cited shortcomings in the offensive zone as the reason for tonight’s loss.
- Carolina is now 1-6-3 in their last 10 games, and sits tied with Detroit for last in the Eastern Conference.
- Jaccob Slavin continued his point streak to three games with his third assist across that span.
- The Hurricanes will now head to Arizona for a rematch with the Coyotes on Sunday night.