(1) Chicago Wolves at (4) Charlotte Checkers
Central Division Semifinals - Game 2
April 21, 2017 - 7:15 p.m. ET
Bojangles Coliseum - Charlotte, NC
Keys to the game:
- Wally World: Lucas Wallmark scored two goals in the Checkers 4-0 Game 1 rout of the Wolves. That's now six points for Wallmark against the Wolves this season (2 goals, 4 assists). Wallmark will look to extend his solid play against Chicago with the help of his linemates Valentin Zykov and Andrew Miller, who also scored in Game 1.
- Shot Suppression: The Checkers were great defensively last night and did not let the Wolves top scorers get much going. The Wolves registered six shots in each of the first two periods and only eight in the third. Checkers goalie Tom McCollum was not tested much throughout the game on his way to recording the shutout. A key to success in tonight's game for the Checkers is controlling shooting and passing lanes much like they did in last night's victory.
- Quieting the Wolves: The Checkers did a great job of shutting down the Wolves’ top scorers, Wade Megan and Kenny Agostino. Megan was a -3 and did not even register a shot and a visually frustrated Agostino managed to get only one shot off. Megan and Agostino can't be controlled for long and may look to bounce back tonight in Game 2. Haydn Fleury and company face a tall order to replicate last night’s nearly perfect performance.
- Packing the Big Bo Box: More than 3,500 fans came out last night for Game 1, a good crowd for a Thursday night. Plenty of Canes fans will likely take advantage of the Friday night game time for Game 2 to head down to Charlotte, which should give the Checkers an even bigger home-ice advantage in a rink where they’ve won 28 times already this year. (If you’re going, though, leave yourself plenty of time. Friday traffic on I-85 moves slower than a typical Hurricanes shootout attempt.)