It’s almost summer, and while the Carolina Hurricanes won’t be returning to the ice for a few months yet, the Canes’ annual summer fan development programs and events are already in full swing. There’s plenty to put on your calendar over the next couple of months.
Back for the second year, the Hurricanes’ First Goal program for children age 4-8 provides one of the best bargains in youth sports anywhere in the Triangle (or, this season, further afield as well). For a registration fee of $97, here is what you get:
- Seven on-ice lessons including participation by Hurricanes alumni
- Free equipment, from head to toe (helmet, pads, gloves, pants, socks, skates, jersey), plus an equipment bag and a stick
- Two tickets to a Hurricanes game in the 2017-18 season
Unsurprisingly, it has already been massively popular. After selling out at five locations last summer, the Canes have expanded the program to 13 different sessions at nine rinks, including locations in Greensboro, Charlotte, and at Fort Bragg. Registration opened yesterday, and already one is sold out and two others are waitlisted. Here are the dates and times at each location:
- Cary Polar Ice House (both sold out; wait lists available): Saturdays, July 15-August 26, 3:15 and 4:15 p.m.
- Garner Polar Ice House: Fridays, July 14-August 25, 6:15 p.m.
- Orange County Sportsplex (sold out): Sundays, July 16-August 27, 4:00 p.m.
- Raleigh Center Ice: Saturdays, July 15-August 26, 8:40 and 9:40 a.m.
- Wake Forest Polar Ice House: Sundays, July 16-August 27, 3:00 and 4:00 p.m.
- Raleigh IcePlex: Sundays, July 16-August 27, 5:45 p.m.; Wednesdays, July 19-August 30, 6:15 p.m.
- Greensboro Ice House: Saturdays, July 15-August 26, 12:00 p.m.
- Cleland Ice Rink (Fort Bragg): Saturdays, July 15-August 26, 9:30 a.m.
- Bojangles Coliseum (Charlotte): Tuesdays, September 12-October 24, 6:00 p.m.*
* - A note about the Charlotte schedule: the Canes’ website lists the dates and times as TBA, but the registration website lists these dates.
More information is available at the Hurricanes’ website, and if you’d like to skip the formalities and head right to the registration forms, they’re available here.
Elsewhere on the Canes’ calendar for this summer:
- Wednesday, June 14: Select-A-Seat for season ticket members begins. Contact the Canes’ ticket sales department or your ticket representative for more on your assigned date and time.
- Friday, June 23: The Canes Draft Party at PNC Arena begins at 6:30 p.m. with the draft starting at 7:00. John Forslund, Mike Maniscalco and Shane Willis will host the festivities at PNC, refreshments will be available for sale, the team will have giveaways and contests, and the televisions will be tuned to watch the Canes pick 12th at the 2017 NHL Draft in Chicago.
- Tuesday, June 27 - Saturday, July 1: The Canes’ annual Summerfest prospects camp will be held a little earlier than usual this year. On-ice sessions will likely begin Wednesday and Saturday will be the annual Summerfest Fan Celebration, featuring the red/white scrimmage, activities for kids, an autograph session, a State of the Hurricanes discussion with Ron Francis and Bill Peters, and more.
- Sunday, September 10: The fifth annual Canes 5K benefitting the Kids ‘n Community Foundation starts at 9:00 a.m. at PNC. Registration is open now; head this way to register. Through July 18, registration is $45, increasing to $50 after then through race day. All registrants will receive a voucher for a pair of tickets to a Canes game in 2017-18; full season ticket members may select a $10 discount off the registration price in lieu of the voucher. A pair of kids’ races, 100- and 200-yard runs, are available for $15 registration fees. Register by August 28 to guarantee your shirt size and customized race bib.