Lord Stanley’s chalice has been raised, so it’s about time for the floodgates to open with rumors, rampant speculation, and perhaps a few actual hockey transactions as teams gear up for the expansion draft, entry draft, and free agency. Starting today we’ll have a daily thread to share updates from around the league and discuss all the various rumors and transactions.
In the meantime, there has been a lot of Canes stuff happening over the last week so here’s a chance to catch up on anything you might have missed.
The Edwards Mill Report
- UPDATE 11:00 am - No sense burying the lede. This article was tweeted out about 15 minutes ago, and if you don’t read anything else posted here, read this one.
- ICYMI the Canes have announced their 2017 preseason schedule along with a number of promotions and new hires among the coaching staff, scouting staff, and hockey operations.
- The pre-game Stormfront and post-game Aftermath radio shows will have a new host next season. 99.9 The Fan announced Alec Campbell, who produces the Adam and Joe show, will take over the reins for 2017-18, replacing Morgan Patrick, who hosted last season [WRALSports].
- Have Google translate handy and catch this Q&A with blogger (and former Canes Country contributor) Corey Sznajder and Technician editor Andrew Schnittker, discussing the Canes season and the future with Swedish site Svenska Fans [SvenskaFans.com].
- The David Glenn Show caught up with Rod Brind’Amour and John Forslund for their perspectives on the Stanley Cup Final [Brind’Amour] [Forslund].
- Mike Maniscalco skyped with Elias Lindholm about Team Sweden’s gold-medal win in the World Championships and what’s next on his summer vacation list [CH.com].
- Eddie Lack has been caught doing good deeds again. Here he’s signing autographs for his hometown youth hockey organization after they won their league championship [via Wille Lack on twitter], then supporting a program that helps victims of sexual assault [Russian Machine Never Breaks].
- On the subject of goaltending, our Lightning affiliate is breaking down last season’s matchups by opponent, and there was a bit to talk about in the Lightning vs. Canes series (yours truly with a cameo appearance) [Raw Charge].
- Teuvo Teravainen is in need of a contract extension; here’s one writer’s guess as to how it may look [FanRag Sports]. Speaking of Turbo, our Chicago affiliate ranked the Blackhawks first round draft picks over the last 20 years. You may recognize a few names [Second City Hockey].
- The intensity of hockey pairs well with a fine wine. Cam Ward and Tim Gleason have a winery in Napa to prove it [WRALSportsFan].
- Always great to hear from Bryan Bickell, who’s doing well, adjusting to his treatment regimen to manage MS, and supporting the cause by launching a new beverage [Puck Daddy].
Former Canes in the News
- In the span of a little over two months Ron Hainsey went from most games played without a playoff appearance to being handed the Stanley Cup by Sidney Crosby [N&O]. Much will be said about his journey to the Cup, but perhaps none better than this feature from last week that starts in Hartford and weaves its way through Raleigh and Pittsburgh along with a couple of other stops along the way [Hartford Courant].
- After Hainsey took his twirl with the Cup Sunday night he passed it along to Matt Cullen [Puck Daddy]. Now with three Cups, one for each son, will it be Cullen’s last hurrah? [Post-Gazette]
- Former Canes defenseman Bob Boughner (2003-04) was announced yesterday as the new head coach of the Florida Panthers [Litter Box Cats] [Panthers website].
- Since he wasn’t able to participate in his usual pastime of late-round game seven goals, Justin Williams made alternative plans this June and became an American citizen [WaPo].
- All 31 teams are rolling out teasers of their new Adidas-branded uniforms, which will be unveiled at the Awards Show and Expansion Draft on June 21. Here’s a sneak peak from the Canes. Follow the #FormTheFuture hashtag on twitter and Instagram to check out more looks across the league.
News and Hot Takes Du Jour
- There’s still a parade to be held, and it’s happening in dahntahn Pittsburgh tomorrow [WTAE].
- Meanwhile, the celebration might be bittersweet for Marc-Andre Fleury, who has reportedly agreed to waive his No-Move Clause for the Vegas expansion draft, allowing the Penguins to protect Matt Murray instead [TVASports].
- Yesterday was the deadline for teams to request that players waive NMCs for the expansion draft, and Friday June 16 is the deadline for players to respond with a decision. As a reminder, players on a full NMC will be required to be protected in the expansion draft by their current team. Here’s a partial list of players who have reportedly been asked to waive their NMCs (sources linked):
Ottawa - Dion Phaneuf [Ottawa Citizen]
Pittsburgh - Marc-Andre Fleury [TVASports]
- And conversely, players reportedly NOT asked to waive their NMCs as of 5:00 pm yesterday (sources linked):
Columbus - Scott Hartnell [Dispatch]
Florida - Keith Yandle [Miami Herald]
- Finally, TSN is keeping a running “Trade Bait Board” listing confirmed or highly popular trade candidates. Worth a look or bookmark [TSN].