Hey Canes fans, Happy Stanleyversary! On this date 11 years ago your Carolina Hurricanes delivered us a glorious moment in history.
On June 16, 1997, Peter Karmanos and Jim Rutherford unveiled the logo for the state’s newest professional sports team, and an identity was born. On Friday, the Canes began unveiling their plans to commemorate the team’s 20th anniversary throughout the upcoming season.
To commemorate the Platinum anniversary, the Canes have in the works:
- 20th Anniversary Team - Recognizing the players who have made the greatest impact, a panel of Hurricanes staff and broadcast media will name 12 forwards, six defensemen, and 2 goaltenders to represent the 20th Anniversary Team. Canes Season Ticket Members will have the opportunity to vote on the 12th forward and sixth defenseman selected.
- Top 20 Moments - The panel will also select a list of the Top 20 Moments in Hurricanes history, to be revealed later this summer. Fans will have the opportunity to vote on the final rankings.
- Canes Care - Hurricanes players and staff will volunteer in 20 Canes Care events throughout the community, supporting local non-profit organizations associated with the Kids ‘N Community Foundation and other Community Relations partners.
- Platinum Puck Sweepstakes - 20 Canes fans will be awarded a limited-edition Platinum Puck along with other prizes including a personalized authentic Hurricanes Adidas jersey and tickets to an upcoming game. From those 20 award winners, one will become the lucky recipient of a grand prize that includes a road trip with the team and season tickets for 10 years.
- First Timers Program - This is still in the early stages of development, but fans will have incentive to help grow the game by nominating fans who have never attended a Hurricanes game for a unique first-time hockey experience.
In addition, the team will regularly publish ‘Today in Canes History’ on social media, players will wear 20th anniversary helmet decals, and center ice will be painted with the 20th anniversary logo. 20th Anniversary patches will be available for fan purchase.
Check out the #Canes20 website and stay tuned for more information throughout the summer.