What Happens in Vegas Goes Pretty Much Everywhere, At Least Tonight
NHL Awards and Expansion Draft Reveal
8 p.m. Eastern | Wednesday, June 21 | T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas
Watch on NBCSN | Stream on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app
Needless to say, there’s a lot going on tonight. Derek Ryan is up for the Masterton Trophy, and while he’s likely to come in a distant runner-up to presumed winner Craig Anderson, it’s still a great honor for one of the Canes’ glue guys and a testament to the dedication it took for him to finally make an NHL roster.
Additionally, CSN Chicago via Pro Hockey Talk reports that the league will honor Bryan Bickell, who would have been Carolina’s Masterton nominee if not for the combination of an early deadline and his uncertain return to the ice, with a presentation during the show tonight.
The expansion picks for the Vegas Golden Knights will reportedly be revealed in reverse standings order from last season, which means the lucky soul to escape the Colorado Avalanche won’t have to wait to learn his fate and the Hurricanes will check in about a third of the way through the proceedings.
We’ll have a live blog up later this evening starting at 6. Hope you’ll come back and enjoy.
Who’s up for some hardware? (Odds from Bovada, because Vegas, of course)
- Hart Trophy (league MVP): Connor McDavid (2/13), Sidney Crosby (4/1), Sergei Bobrovsky (11/1)
- Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Brent Burns (1/5), Erik Karlsson (5/2), Victor Hedman (25/1)
- Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Sergei Bobrovsky (1/4), Braden Holtby (11/5), Carey Price (22/1)
- Calder Trophy (top rookie): Auston Matthews (1/20), Patrik Laine (11/2), Zach Werenski (18/1)
- Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Ryan Kesler (5/7), Patrice Bergeron (7/4), Mikko Koivu (15/4)
- Lady Byng Trophy (most gentlemanly forward): Johnny Gaudreau (1/1), Vladimir Tarasenko (1/1), Mikael Granlund (4/1)
- Jack Adams Award (best coach): Mike Babcock (5/7), John Tortorella (9/4), Todd McLellan (11/4)
- Masterton Trophy (dedication / perseverance): Craig Anderson, Andrew Cogliano, Derek Ryan.
- Ted Lindsay Award (MVP as voted by the players): Brent Burns, Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid.
- General Manager of the Year: Peter Chiarelli, Pierre Dorion, David Poile
And last night, three awards were handed out at something called the NHL Humanitarian Awards, which is the NHL’s equivalent of the Oscars given out in preshow ceremonies:
- NHL Foundation Award (community service): Travis Hamonic, New York Islanders
- Mark Messier Leadership Award: Nick Foligno, Columbus Blue Jackets
- King Clancy Memorial Trophy: Nick Foligno, Columbus Blue Jackets
- If you missed the announcement last night, here’s everything you need to know about the Canes’ new home uniforms. The away threads will be revealed at the draft party on Friday.
- Lots of nuggets in Friedman’s 30 Thoughts, including rumblings of the Canes tempting Vegas with a ransom to get them to take Eddie Lack (number 5) and a great anecdote of Derek Ryan’s previous appearance at the awards show red carpet (number 28.) [Sportsnet]
- The N&O’s Chip Alexander tells the story of how the Canes found an under-the-radar fourth round pick five years ago who is paying big dividends now. [News & Observer]
- Cory Lavalette, late of this very website, profiles his top 12 draft prospects and lists his top 100 overall. [North State Journal]
- Here’s a deep dive into what the Canes goaltenders can expect with new coach Mike Bales. [FanRag Sports]
- The Blackhawks’ Marian Hossa will not play in the 2017-18 season, and his career is likely over due to the effects of a progressive skin disorder. [Blackhawks]
- The Golden Knights’ Twitter feed has been [fire emojis] during the expansion draft process. [Puck Daddy]
- What’s it like being claimed in an expansion draft? Among others, former Hurricanes Scott Walker and Bob Boughner share their stories. [Toronto Sun]
- Here’s quite a project: reordering every NHL draft from 2000 to 2015. [Canoe Sports]