The Carolina Hurricanes made a splash yesterday as NHL free agency opened.
Shorty after the clock struck noon, the Hurricanes announced the signing of three-time Stanley Cup champion and 2006 team member Justin Williams during the Red vs. White prospect scrimmage at PNC Arena.
Never know what's going to happen at #Canes summerfest Cool moment with fans announcing signing of @JustinWilliams #CanesCamp pic.twitter.com/g21iqt59l3— Jon Chase (@JChasesthoughts) July 1, 2017
Moments later, the club announced the signing of 26-year-old forward Josh Jooris.
- On top of two flashier moves, the Hurricanes signed three minor leaguers to one-year contracts, including in-house free agent Dennis Robertson. [Hurricanes]
- Uh...why, exactly, is Jordan Staal being mentioned in this context? [DK Pittsburgh Sports]
- The Maple Leafs chose to let defenseman Matt Hunwick walk in free agency, and his replacement is former Hurricane and reigning Stanley Cup champion Ron Hainsey. James Mirtle says this is an upgrade for the young Leafs club. [The Athletic]
- Jim Rutherford had to open up his wallet in order to keep restricted free agent Justin Schultz for the next three seasons. [Penguins]
- The Predators made a mildly surprising move on Saturday, acquiring defenseman Alexei Emelin from the Vegas Golden Knights. [Predators]
- The Florida Panthers were busy with two-way moves on July 1, signing five players to one-year deals, including former Hurricane and Golden Knight Connor Brickley, who was originally drafted by the Panthers in 2010. [Panthers]
- Greg Wyshynski ranked the top five best and worst signings from day one of free agency. You might see a familiar face at the top of the list. [Yahoo Puck Daddy]
- Jaromir Jagr’s time in Florida has come to an end and the 45-year-old has hit the open market. [TSN]
"It was an honor to be touched by a legend, honestly… can't thank him enough for everything he did." - Dale Tallon.— Florida Panthers (@FlaPanthers) July 1, 2017
Thanks, Jags. ❤️ pic.twitter.com/0Y0n17vxci