First, A Site Announcement
We’ve been working on a podcast for the last few weeks, and the first episode of the Canes Country Podcast is on its way later this morning! Stay tuned for Brett, Kyle and Justin sharing their thoughts on the Hurricanes’ offseason to this point, and some more fun and frivolity.
And now, on to your...
- Two major signings yesterday: Connor McDavid re-upped with the Oilers for eight years and $102 million [Oilers], and Alex Galchenyuk penned a three-year deal with the Canadiens at just under $15 million [Canadiens].
- That McDavid contract is going to present some challenges to Peter Chiarelli’s cap management skills - maybe more than even the Penguins and Blackhawks have had to encounter in recent years. [ProHockeyTalk]
- Here we go again: another piece saying that the Penguins should make an offer for Jordan Staal, partly because the Canes now have Marcus Kruger in the mix. Uh, guys... [DK Pittsburgh Sports]
- To that end, Canes & Coffee says enough already. [Canes & Coffee]
- Speaking of Kruger, he brings a lot to the table that the Hurricanes have long needed. [Hurricanes]
- Martin Necas isn’t ready to make an impact in the NHL yet, according to none other than Martin Necas - but he’s ready to start the process of getting there. [NHL.com]
- Ron Francis has had a quietly effective offseason, and the Canes could be lined up for a playoff push next season as a result. [The Hockey News]
- Former NHL player Shayne Corson suffered from anxiety during his NHL career, never letting on to anyone other than family and close friends. [Toronto Sun]
- Lots of multimedia for your enjoyment today: episode 3 of the CanesCast with Mike Maniscalco and Michael Smith... [Hurricanes]
- ...Ron Francis joining NHL Tonight to talk about the Justin Williams signing...
- ...the aforementioned Justin Williams joining Joe Ovies on 99.9 The Fan to talk about his new old surroundings... [WRALSportsFan]
- ...and Trevor van Riemsdyk on SiriusXM NHL Radio.