But First, A Word From Our Sponsor
Before we get to the reading assignments, I have an announcement to make: with the Charlotte Checkers moving to the AHL’s Eastern Conference this season, Canes Country is officially adopting the Rockford IceHogs as the site’s official AHL Western Conference team.
Why them, you ask? Well...
Events. Super excited to continue my dream to work in hockey, and can't wait to get started!— Peter Dewar (@pdewar18) August 15, 2017
Needless to say, I couldn’t be more thrilled for Peter. He’s an outstanding writer, as anyone who visits here well knows, and our loss is absolutely Rockford’s significant gain. He’ll still be able to contribute here from time to time, so you haven’t seen the last of him, but I wanted to wish him the very best on behalf of Canes Country’s staff and readers and publicly thank him for everything he’s done for us. Knock ‘em dead, man!
- Chip Alexander chatted with Ron Francis earlier this week. Among the notes: Bill Peters isn’t on the hot seat, and the GM expects a strong playoff push from the Hurricanes this season. [News & Observer]
- When are the new jerseys going to be available, and what’s on the Homegrown Series menu this season? You have questions, and Michael Smith has answers. [Hurricanes]
- It’s the time of year where we start talking equipment. First, here’s Trevor van Riemsdyk’s new gloves:
- ...and here’s a preview of Scott Darling’s new mask:
- Matt Cullen has decided to return for another season, signing a one-year deal with the Minnesota Wild. That decision made for some difficult phone calls with the likes of Sidney Crosby and Mike Sullivan yesterday [DK Pittsburgh Sports ($)]. The move will bring Cullen back to his home state, and will reunite him with a familiar former teammate [MN Star Tribune].
- It’s been too long without a Matt Duchene trade story, so let’s hit our quota. [FanRag Sports]
- The Vegas Golden Knights have announced their TV and radio broadcasters for their inaugural season. [Knights On Ice]
- And along those same lines, CBS Radio’s Las Vegas cluster sent out a memo yesterday declaring that Golden Knights talk of any type was verboten on their airwaves, in any form. The backlash was swift and fierce, and CBS backed down within a few hours. [SBNation.com]
- What is it like to be on the coaching staff of a professional hockey team? Former Toronto Marlies video coach Justin Bourne reveals all. [The Athletic ($)]