- Breaking this morning: the Canes have hired a replacement for Ron Francis with a different title. The release from the team is below.
le #CH devrait confirmer le départ de Rick Dudley au cours des prochaines heures. Le mentor de Marc Bergevin deviendra le nouveau vice-président des opérations hockey avec les hurricanes de la caroline. Il sera le bras droit de don waddell #Canes— Francois Gagnon (@GagnonFrancois) May 1, 2018
According to @GagnonFrancois Rick Dudley will be the new vice president of hockey operations with the Carolina Hurricanes, working with Don Waddell. You may remember them for such hits as the [checks notes] Atlanta ... Thrashers?#InDundonWeTrust— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) May 1, 2018
- Lots of different media today, but first, Canes TV and NBC Sports broadcaster John Forslund joined the David Glenn Show on Monday. Check just after the 31 minute mark for the interview. [David Glenn Show]
- Luke DeCock of the News & Observer discusses new Assistant General Manager Paul Krepelka’s long connection with the Canes, first as a player’s agent, and his possible impact now as a team official. [News & Observer]
- Don Waddell spoke with Mike Maniscalco about the unexpected great news of gaining the second pick in the upcoming entry draft. (warning, extreme close up utilized).
Waddell: "We think there's a potential superstar there (with the second pick). It could really change the franchise."@MikeManiscalco asked #Canes President and Interim GM Don Waddell about winning the second pick at the draft lottery and what it means for the Hurricanes. pic.twitter.com/WdmdWtNqpl— Carolina Hurricanes (@NHLCanes) April 30, 2018
- The NHL provides a behind-the-scenes look at the Draft Lottery process.
- The Canes released information about this year’s Learn to Play initiative. Registration opens today. [Carolina Hurricanes]
DUDLEY NAMED SENIOR VP OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS
Has more than 45 years of experience in professional hockey
The Carolina Hurricanes today announced that the team has hired Rick Dudley as senior vice president of hockey operations.
“Rick brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our management group,” said Tom Dundon, Owner, CEO and Governor of the Hurricanes. “He has been a part of building championship teams on every level of professional hockey, and will play an important role in helping us build a winner in Raleigh.”
Dudley, 69, has more than 45 years of experience in professional hockey, including 25 years as a senior executive in the National Hockey League. Prior to joining the Hurricanes, the Toronto native served as senior vice president of hockey operations for the Montreal Canadiens. He’s also held senior executive roles with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Atlanta Thrashers, Chicago Blackhawks, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators.
Dudley has served as general manager for four NHL franchises, and played a major role in helping to build championship teams in Tampa Bay, where he was general manager from 1999 to 2002, and Chicago, where he was assistant general manager from 2004 to 2009. As general manager of the Ottawa Senators in 1998-99, he helped the Senators capture their first division championship. Before starting his NHL management career, he served as a general manager in the IHL, AHL and ECHL, reaching the finals eight times and winning four league championships. He also gained experience as a coach in the ACHL, IHL, AHL and NHL, serving as head coach of the Buffalo Sabres from 1989-1991.
Dudley spent seven seasons as a player in the NHL, totaling 174 points (75g, 99a) in 309 career games with Buffalo and Winnipeg. He also appeared in 270 World Hockey Association (WHA) games with Cincinnati, twice netting 40 goals in a season.