- Where were you twelve years ago today?
- Today at center ice, things are just a little bit quieter than they were that day.
Fresh. pic.twitter.com/crbTWA2agX— Michael Smith (@MSmithCanes) June 18, 2018
- Canes goalie prospect Jack LaFontaine will spend next season with the BCHL’s Penticton Vees before returning to Michigan in 2019. [Penticton Vees]
- This week on the CanesCast: an Andrei Svechnikov lovefest and some more details on the third jersey that will be revealed Friday night. [Hurricanes (audio)]
- And now for the big news that broke yesterday: Barry Trotz resigned as Capitals coach, a shade under two weeks since winning the Stanley Cup. [Capitals]
- So, what prompted this? Winning the Cup triggered an automatic two-year extension of Trotz’s contract that would have left him underpaid. He wanted a five-year extension, and the Caps said no thanks. [Washington Post]
- What’s next for Trotz and for the Capitals? [ProHockeyTalk]
- The Senators managed to move Mike Hoffman for an actual NHL player, but you’d have to think that last week at this time they could have gotten more than Mikkel Boedker and spare parts. [Senators]
- The bid group heading up Seattle’s expansion bid hired Dave Tippett as an advisor. [Seattle Times]
- The headline alone is basically an auto-click: “NHL Awards Blog Live in Las Vegas with Paul Bissonnette.” Say no more. [Sportsnet]
- Bob McKenzie’s final draft rankings include plenty of Svechnikov accolades, and also a Raleigh flavor: City of Oaks native Tyler Weiss checks in at number 91. [TSN]