Welp, folks, just another day in August. In this slow a time, might as well sit down and check the newspaper...
Wait, what’s this???
Yes, in case you fell asleep at 6:30 p.m. sharp last night (sorry to our 3-year-old readers), Jeff Skinner was shipped to Buffalo on Thursday in exchange for Cliff Pu and three draft picks.
Hockey fans everywhere but Raleigh:
With that, it’s time to play: Good Trade? Or Bad Trade?
- First up, ESPN[$]: Bad trade
- Next, TSN: Bad trade
- Followed by NBCSports: Bad...OK, this isn’t fun anymore
Wait, found a “good trade for both side(s)” guy!
Good trade for both side!! Wish you the best Jeff Skinner— Frank (@Frank20thetank) August 3, 2018
In all sincerity, this is one of the biggest moves for the Hurricanes in recent history, with the face of a franchise — albeit a frequently struggling one — on the move.
- Luke DeCock wrote a piece attempting to track the progression from an energetic, hopeful face of the franchise to a short-term rental trade without playoff experience [N&O]
- This report from Buffalo begins with the lead: “Jason Botterill is a savage.” [Buffalo News]
- And the same site rounded up some Twitter takes, including those of Canes fans. [Buffalo News]
- The Hurricanes official Twitter nearly got ratio-ed on the announcement of the trade.
The #Canes have acquired Cliff Pu, Buffalo’s second-round selection in the 2019 NHL Draft and Buffalo’s third-round and sixth-round selections in the 2020 NHL Draft in exchange for Jeff Skinner. https://t.co/oEvNu3fqxH— Carolina Hurricanes (@NHLCanes) August 2, 2018
There are sure to be a ton of thinkpieces and analyses on the topic today, so keep an eye out.
Anyways, moving on to other hockey news...
- Dylan Larkin...”expects” to have a contract before training camp (is this actually news?) [NHL]
- William Nylander wants a long-term deal (well, duh) [TSN]
- Okay, this is boring. Let’s see what’s up with Bill Peters’ Flames. Surely, they’re posting some good content.
Check out the best photos from Sean Monahan's 2017-18 season https://t.co/PS8rnkKi0Z— Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) August 3, 2018
OK, yep, it’s still August...