The Carolina Hurricanes return home for their first preseason game at PNC Arena after beating the Lightning 4-1 last night. The two teams will face off again for the second time in as many days. The Hurricanes went with a younger line-up and it paid off. Star rookie Andrei Svechnikov pocketed a goal and an assist and had a strong presence on the ice.
A key focus point was Lucas Wallmark in the preseason opener. Wallmark has a unique opportunity to step in and solidify his NHL career with the season-threatening injury of Victor Rask. He impressed last night, registering a goal and an assist.
A point of focus for the Hurricanes should be cutting down penalties in game two. The Canes committed five penalties and allowed a power play goal. Scott Darling will likely get a chance in net tonight. Petr Mrazek and Alex Nedeljkovic shared the net last night, making nine and eight saves, respectively.
Here’s the lineup for this evening:
No overlap from last night’s game roster for the Hurricanes for tonight’s home game vs. the Lightning. TB’s Masin, Andreoff played last night and will seemingly play tonight. pic.twitter.com/ut9Pr2vrCn— Cory Lavalette (@corylav) September 19, 2018
- Don’t forget to bring your donations for Hurricane Florence recovery to the game tonight. [Canes Country]
- I mean I know it’s the preseason but Dan Girardi looks in midseason form on this play:
- I love you so much:
- It’s up to The Great One to spread the game of hockey in China. [New York Times]
- According to StubHub data, Vegas is outselling the Leafs. [ESPN]
- Vegas, by the way, became the first NHL team to partner with a sportsbook. [Las Vegas Sun]
- Speaking of the Leafs, new Leaf John Tavares scored in his first preseason game with his new team:
- Training camp and the preseason may be a time for players to refine their game but they’re not the only one that needs a refresher. [USA Today]