- Yesterday’s News Today: Canes come back, hold off Panthers, Metro Roundup, How the Bunch of Jerks shirts came to life so quickly.
- Even the Mentors know how to be a Bunch of Jerks:
- In this N&O article we find out that the walk off home run Surge that sparked the Jerk outrage, was originally a Warren Foegele idea. [N&O]
- Our very own Brian LeBlanc joined our very own Andrew Schnittker on Technician’s sports podcast this week to talk #Jerks [Technician]
- The Charlotte Checkers are out to prove more than one hockey team in NC can have an epic throwback uniform this year. [Bardown]
- Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts podcast talks a lot about the trade deadline with some stuff about every team in the league. [Sportsnet]
- We have another trade, this time to a Metro division rival:
NEWS | Capitals have acquired forward @CarlHagelin from the Los Angeles Kings for a third round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft and a conditional sixth round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. #ALLCAPS https://t.co/RnSYsSWYjE— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) February 21, 2019
- Ahead of the Stadium Series game this Saturday, Gritty is getting his diary entries published. [NHL]
- The logistics behind getting a freshly traded player to his new team ASAP. [The Athletic $]
- What it’s like to be in the NHL’s Central Registry on deadline day [TSN]
- For Buffalo, not trading Jeff Skinner should be risk worth taking. [The Hockey News]
- Evander Kane tried to peak at the Penguins whiteboard which led to a brawl. [NBC Sports]
Stalking the Standings
With their win over Florida last night, the Canes jumped back in to a playoff spot passing Columbus. It was a busy night around the league which was overall not favorable for the Canes with one exception.
- The San Jose Sharks defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-0 to keep the Pens at 71 points.
- Washington took down Toronto 3-2 pushing them up to 75 points.
- Montreal throttled Philadelphia 5-1 which kept them three points head of Carolina in the first wild card spot.
- The New York Islanders lost to the Edmonton Oilers 4-3 in overtime allowing Washington to creep one point closer to the top spot in the Metro.
- Tampa held off Buffalo 2-1 in the shootout. Buffalo did get one point for making it to overtime and they continue to barely hang around.
- Metro 1: NY Islanders: 60 GP, 77 points, 105 pt pace
- Metro 2: Washington Capitals: 61 GP, 75 points, 101 pt pace
- Metro 3: Pittsburgh Penguins: 61 GP, 71 points, 95 pt pace
- WC 1: Montreal Canadiens: 61 GP, 73 points, 98 pt pace
- WC 2: Carolina Hurricanes: 61 GP, 70 points, 94 pt pace
- 9th: Columbus Blue Jackets: 59 GP, 69 points, 96 pt pace
- 10th: Buffalo Sabres: 60 GP, 64 points, 87 pt pace
- 11th: Philadelphia Flyers: 61 GP, 63 points, 85 pt pace
Rooting Guide for Tonight:
- Ottawa Senators over the Columbus Blue Jackets