- Good morning to everyone and especially Tripp Tracy (extended version on Facebook).
- Our recap of last night’s win: “Miraculous” Mrazek, Svechnikov power Hurricanes to 3-0 win
- What a time to be alive: the Hurricanes - the Carolina Hurricanes! - have a realistic shot at 100 points this season.
- Duncan Keith is no fan of hotel toiletries. [The New York Times]
- Every NHL team’s point leader [The Hockey News]
- Do teams want to be profit maximizers or win maximizers? [The Hockey Writers]
- Joe Thornton for the Masterton? [Mercury News]
- There is nothing in this world that approaches low minor-league hockey for sheer wackiness.
The wildest hockey story you're going to read today:— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) March 11, 2019
- @ElmiraEnforcers owner gets into physical altercation with referees. Police are called.
- Game is cancelled after one period after refs fear for safety.
- @TheFHL head ref resigns in disgust. https://t.co/qwD9jA3Pms
Stalking the Standings
The Canes took care of business in Colorado which brought them back into third place in the Metro. Also of enormous importance was the result from Long Island, where the Islanders beat the Blue Jackets 2-0. The Canes now hold a four point cushion heading into Friday’s game with Columbus.
- Metro 1: Washington Capitals: 69 GP, 89 points, 106 pt pace, 37 ROW
- Metro 2: New York Islanders: 69 GP, 87 points, 103 pt pace, 36 ROW
- Metro 3: Carolina Hurricanes: 69 GP, 83 points, 99 pt pace, 37 ROW
- WC 1: Pittsburgh Penguins: 69 GP, 83 points, 99 pt pace, 36 ROW
- WC 2: Columbus Blue Jackets: 69 GP, 79 points, 94 pt pace, 37 ROW
- 9th: Montreal Canadiens: 69 GP, 79 points, 94 pt pace, 34 ROW
- 10th: Philadelphia Flyers: 69 GP, 76 points, 90 pt pace, 32 ROW
With the Canes idle until Friday (when they play the Blue Jackets in Columbus), there are several key games to keep an eye on between now and then. First up are three games Tuesday night with playoff implications.
Tonight’s Rooting Guide
- Boston over Columbus
- Detroit over Montreal
- Washington over Pittsburgh? (just no OT please)