- Not to start with a downer this morning, but Trevor van Riemsdyk’s season is over after he underwent shoulder surgery on Thursday. He’ll be on the shelf for 4-6 months; next season is five months away. [Hurricanes]
- OK, now that we’re done with that: Don Cherry is back on his BS again. Did you know that you, humble Hurricanes fan, are nothing but a front-runner?
Don Cherry vs. the Hurricanes is the best rivalry of the playoffs pic.twitter.com/kC6UzbF7mx— Gino Hard (@Ginohard_) May 5, 2019
- Tripp Tracy in a scissor lift? Tripp Tracy in a scissor lift.
- Sinclair Sports Carolinas? Maybe - the company that owns two TV stations in the Raleigh market agreed to a $10 billion deal to buy the Fox Sports regional networks that were acquired by Disney but needed to be sold off to satisfy regulatory requirements. [Yahoo]
- Tom Dundon’s having the last laugh and he’s loving every minute of it. [NHL.com]
- The story behind the St. Louis Blues’ adoption of a rally song that was released when Justin Williams was eight months old is worth your time. (As is the song itself, if you’ve never heard it.) [The Athletic ($)]
- And finally, a friendly reminder to buy our stuff! Proceeds benefit the CC Travel Fund, which is going to be drawn upon yet again for coverage of the conference final. If you buy a shirt now, you’ll likely have it in your hot little hands by the time the Canes next take the ice at PNC!
NEW SHIRT ALERT— x - Canes Country (@CanesCountry) May 3, 2019
Brock Nelson’s playing the wrong game. Get our newest shirt now: they’re playing tag, we’re playing hockey.
In partnership with @breakingtco! Get yours now ➡️ https://t.co/uUJivgcHBC pic.twitter.com/AxilosSwc5
The man. The legend. The definition of clutch.— x - Canes Country (@CanesCountry) April 25, 2019
We’re joining up with @breakingtco. Show your pride in our city, in our team, and in our captain!
Every purchase benefits the CC Travel Fund to help us bring you comprehensive coverage of the 2019 playoffs! https://t.co/6pcW0YHVs1 pic.twitter.com/J4GszIIxt3
About Last Night
- The Bruins are a win away from a date with the Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Final. They were up 1-0 in a profoundly boring game through 50 minutes, and then all hell broke loose: the Blue Jackets tied the game after being down two, and David Pastrnak scored twice, including the game-winner with 1:30 to go, for a 4-3 Bruins win and a 3-2 series lead going back to Columbus for Game 6 on Monday.
- With that in mind, this is an educated guess: if the Bruins win Monday, the ECF will likely begin Thursday in Boston. If it goes to Game 7, look for a Friday start in Raleigh (if the Blue Jackets win) or a Saturday start in Boston (if the Bruins win.)
- Tomas Hertl scored both Sharks goals in a 2-1 win over the Avalanche that sets up San Jose with a chance to clinch on Monday in Denver. It was the Sharks’ third comeback win of this year’s playoffs, trailing two teams with four: the Stars, and...yourrrrr Carolina Hurricanes.