- Yesterday’s News Today: We posted a link to this article earlier but it’s soooooooo good, make time to read it over the weekend if you haven’t done so already. Jaccob Slavin has been in his home state of Colorado running a summer camp sponsored by Hockey Ministries International. What better time to catch up with a few folks who know him well? [The Athletic $]
- Next, check out the final episode of Discover The Checkers, which covers their run to the Calder Cup. We know how this one ends and it’s fun to watch. [Checkers on YouTube]
- Local business leaders gathered in Raleigh last week to celebrate the success of the Hurricanes season and to recognize Don Waddell (note, TBJ is subscription only but this article is available by setting up a free account). [Triangle Business Journal]
- The Canes capped off their youth summer camp (their 20th!) with a game Friday.
It is a who’s who at the 20th Anniversary of #Canes youth summer camp Super Friday Game.— Jon Chase (@JChasesthoughts) July 26, 2019
Coaches include Shane Willis, @AGagliardi92 & @emiliooo17
Play by play: @mikemaniscalco
& our Jack Nicklaus on the glass is @SportsChannel8 own @TheBenSwain pic.twitter.com/Lhu0iReQhF
- Speaking of summer camps, Justin Williams is back on the ice at his fourth annual hockey camp in Cobourg, ON. [Global News]
- Welp, as of noon Friday, Sling TV and Dish Network have dropped all 21 Fox Regional Sports Networks over fee disputes. This probably won’t linger through the start of the NHL season, but be aware regardless.
ATTENTION DISH & SLING CUSTOMERS: DISH and Sling have dropped the Carolina Hurricanes on FOX Sports Carolinas. Don’t miss your home team’s games – Switch today! https://t.co/im66PYmu1c #KeepMyHomeTeams pic.twitter.com/mXtxAKo932— FOX Sports Carolinas (@CanesOnFSCR) July 26, 2019
- Former Hurricanes Director of Amateur Scouting Tony MacDonald, who recently retired after 25 years with the organization, has joined the OHL Sudbury Wolves as a senior advisor. [Sudbury Wolves]
- Get to know new Canes prospect Jamieson Rees (2019 Round 2, 44 overall).
- Pro Hockey Talk (NBC Sports) dove into special teams in a two-part series, analyzing a “special teams plus/minus” statistic to look at the total impact of each NHL team’s special teams units over the last two seasons. You may or may not be surprised where the Hurricanes landed. [Part 1 - Best Special Teams] [Part 2 - Worse Special Teams]
- The list of unsigned RFAs and UFAs is getting shorter, albeit at a glacial pace. On Friday the Rangers and Pavel Buchnevich avoided arbitration with a two-year, $6.5m contract extension [BlueShirt Banter], and the Capitals inked Chandler Stephenson to a one-year, $1.05m deal [RMNB].
- 36 NHL writers weighed in to create an All-Interview Team. You’ll see a few familiar names on this list. [The Athletic $]
- Last but not least, former Blackhawk and former Hurricane Kris Versteeg is here to bless your weekend with a little party rock.