- It’s Day 2 of Canes training camp (and we’re only three days away from an actual game!). Brett’s recap of yesterday’s festivities is here.
- And don’t miss Jamie’s photo gallery of what happened on the first morning of the 2019-2020 preseason.
- If you missed it yesterday, the Canes have invited former Senators defenseman Fredrik Claesson to camp on a PTO, but Cory Lavalette’s camp notebook points out that he wasn’t present for the first day of camp. [North State Journal]
- So, onto the big news of the day: Mitch Marner has his new deal, and it’s a doozy: 6 years, $65.4 million, nearly all of it paid in signing bonuses:
The #MapleLeafs Mitch Marner 6 year $10.893M Cap Hit:— PuckPedia (@PuckPedia) September 14, 2019
-Yr 1: $700K Base, $15.3M SB
-Yr 2: $700K & $14.3M SB
-Yr 3: $750K & $9.608M SB
-Yr 4: $750K & $7.25M SB
-Yr 5: $750K & $7.25M SB
-Yr 6: $750K, $7.25M SB
Rep’d by Darren Ferris @quartexxmgmt https://t.co/bcUNcKgR24
- So what does Marner’s deal mean for Brayden Point, who is apparently far apart from the Lightning in their negotiations? [Raw Charge]
- There are players who can’t catch a break, and then there’s poor Calvin de Haan, who’s out 2-3 weeks with a pair of injuries, only one of which is his recovery from shoulder surgery. [TSN]
- On the other coast, the Ducks’ Ryan Kesler (hip surgery) and Patrick Eaves (illness) will miss the entire season. [Ducks]
- Evgeny Kuznetsov will be suspended by the NHL, likely for three games, for conduct detrimental to the league following his positive test for cocaine at the World Championships. [Washington Post]