Yesterday’s News Today
- Carolina has competition at all positions right now, but one area to zero in on will be the blue line, which was previewed by Cody yesterday.
- The Hurricanes iced a young group against Nashville’s studs on Wednesday night, and they came out on the wrong end of a 3-0 final score.
- Something to watch: Ryan Dzingel left Wednesday’s game early after an awkward collision at center ice.
Ryan Dzingel's leg bended awkwardly after the face off. He immediately hobbled to the Canes locker room. pic.twitter.com/Tn4z25lAEJ— Brett Finger (@brett_finger) September 26, 2019
The Hurricanes will have only one practice group on Thursday, which indicates that a big round of cuts will likely be made. With just two preseason games left, Rod Brind’Amour and company will narrow down their NHL group for the veteran-heavy dress rehearsals on Friday against the Predators and Sunday against the Capitals.
- READvolution, a program designed to increase child literacy among elementary school students, is back for its third season. (Canes)
- Saku Maenalanen’s waiting game has ended. The Finnish forward has signed with Jokerit in the KHL. The Hurricanes retain his NHL rights.
BREAKING: Hyökkääjä Saku Mäenalanen ja #Jokerit ovat sopineet 1+1-vuotisesta diilistä.— Helsingin Jokerit (@jokerithc) September 25, 2019
Mäenalanen saapui Helsinkiin tänään ja tavoitteena on pelaaminen lauantain kotimatsissa.
Tiedote: https://t.co/spGjJY2l7y#KHLfi pic.twitter.com/weKCLtYE5o
- An anonymous panel of NHL executives rated all 31 NHL starting goalies. They weren’t very high on Petr Mrazek, which just means he can prove himself (again) this season. (The Athletic $)
- Aleksi Saarela, who had some choice words over the offseason about how Carolina didn’t give him enough of an opportunity last season, has been assigned to Chicago’s AHL affiliate.
Forward Aleksi Saarela and defenseman Adam Boqvist have been assigned to Rockford.— Chicago Blackhawks (@NHLBlackhawks) September 26, 2019
With these moves, the #Blackhawks training camp roster currently stands at 28:
-3 goaltenders pic.twitter.com/WZyUYh0ecF
- More details of the disorderly conduct charges facing Toronto Maple Leafs forward Auston Matthews have emerged... (The Athletic $)
- Never change, Eddie Lack. Never change.
You traded away the taco man and the queso man— Eddie Lack (@eddielack) September 26, 2019