Heads up: Secure your free tickets to the September 29 preseason game beginning at 10am this morning!
- Speaking of things that happen today, it’s Media Day at PNC Arena beginning at noon. We’ll have all sorts of coverage, so follow @CanesCountry on twitter and @canescountrypix on Instagram, and come back later today for stories from the festivities.
- Niklas Kronwall announced his retirement from the NHL on Tuesday. Kronwall has played 15 seasons, all with the Detroit Red Wings and was set to earn $1.75 million this season. He is 47 games shy of reaching 1,000 games played, but will join the Detroit front office.
As one chapter ends, another begins.— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) September 3, 2019
Thank you, Nik. pic.twitter.com/G2vNzBMDAx
- His opponents hated playing against Kronwall but his teammates loved him. Here’s what players said about him. [Detroit Free Press]
- The NHL hosts an annual Rookie Orientation to help mentor upcoming rookies about being professional athletes, including information about money management, time management, and media training led by former players. This year features a group of former Carolina Hurricanes as mentors. [$The Athletic]
- Former teammates are confident that Cup winner Devante Smith-Pelly will have another shot at the NHL. [SportsNet]
- Ron Francis continues to build out his front office in Seattle. This time he added Ricky Olczyk as Assistant GM. Olczyk worked with the Hurricanes in the same position for four years, mostly dealing with cap compliance and the CBA, and spent last season as a Maple Leafs scout. [NHL]
- The Hurricanes are playing in the NHL Prospect Showcase in Nashville starting this weekend. Anyone up for a road trip?
A limited number of tickets to attend the @NHL Prospect Showcase games at @FordIceCenter from Sept. 7-10 are available now!#Preds | #PredsRookieCamp— Nashville Predators (@PredsNHL) September 3, 2019
Get tickets: https://t.co/0qJ80CLQU3 pic.twitter.com/GvEgtWVflg
- Phil Kessel was introduced to the Arizona media yesterday and spoke about he and head coach Rick Tocchet’s relationship. [ArizonaSports.com]
- NHL Mailbag covers the new coaches challenge rules and Cale Makar’s chances at the Calder Trophy this season. [NHL.com]
- Kyle Dubas still very optimistic that Mitch Marner will be a Maple Leaf for the long term. [SportsNet]
- Adam and Joe tackle the topic of Justin Williams’ absence at the start and have an interview with Rod Brind’Amour around the 18 minute mark. [WRAL SportsFan]
- CanesCast has new Carolina Hurricane and reigning Da Beauty League MVP, Eric Haula this week.