Yesterday’s News Today
Recap: Reimer one-ups Mrazek as Hurricanes post back-to-back shutouts
- Did you see James Reimer’s pads last night? They were the product of a lot of heavy lifting on the part of Canes equipment manager Jorge Alves.
View this post on Instagram
“Look good, feel good, play good.” That’s what Carolina Hurricanes equipment manager Jorge Alves said of the effort he put into transforming James Reimer’s @bauergoalie UltraSonic pads and gloves, as well as his mask and sticks, to wear with the Hartford Whalers throwback jerseys tonight. Alves shared behind-the-scenes photos of the “transformation,” appropriate given Reimer’s Optimus Reim nickname and the Autobot sticker on the chin, after Reimer made 41 saves to shut out the LA Kings. He had to complete the job overnight after the Canes wore red on Friday, and used @padwrap_ on pads and gloves and @padskinz on the mask. He also converted the Bauer stick from red to blue. “I wanted to make sure he looked great for tonight's game,” Alves wrote in a text. “So I started wrapping as soon as the game ended last night.” A Vezina-worthy performance, but we’d expect nothing less from a fellow goalie: Alves fills in at practice for the Canes and appeared for the final 7.6 seconds of a Dec. 31, 2016 game as an EBUG, all of which he discussed on InGoal Radio this week. Great job Jorge!
- What should the Hurricanes expect from Justin Williams? [NBC Sports]
- The Golden Knights are hoping to add a defenseman before the trade deadline. [The Athletic $]
- Moving closer to his long-awaited return, Sidney Crosby was a full participant at Penguins practice yesterday. [ESPN]
- The NHL announced the 2020 All-Star Last Men In winner, and Teuvo Teravainen was not among them. [Yahoo Sports]
- Scoring is up in the NHL. Here’s why. [Washington Post]
- The Joe Pavelski signing has impacted both the Sharks and the Stars. [NBC Sports]