Yesterday’s News Today
- Justin Williams had another game winning goal last night, in his 30th career multi-goal game.
- I think the fans had missed him a little bit...
JUS-TIN WILL-IAMS— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) January 22, 2020
JUS-TIN WILL-IAMS pic.twitter.com/YSsKabNg4k
- Oh and the Hurricanes played dodgeball after their 4-1 win. It seems like the creativity has ramped up since Williams returned, doesn’t it?
Remember the 5 D's of dodgeball: Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. pic.twitter.com/CAbt2Qfudu— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) January 22, 2020
- The Hurricanes announced a new game that can be played within the NHL app, Canes Pick ‘Em. It is a free to play app where fans can choose answers. More right answers means more points. More points means exclusive rewards. The full details are at the Canes website. [Carolina Hurricanes]
- Om the list of Very Rod Brind’Amour Things, “go find a gym where you’re vacationing” is up near the top.
Rod's last speech before the break was nothing short of amazing pic.twitter.com/apf9SLJIBP— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) January 22, 2020
- Artemi Panarin missed the New York Rangers final game before the All-Star break with an upper-body injury. The forward also missed the last two practices. [ESPN]
Via his 2nd assist for the @Canes vs the Jets tonight, Andrei Svechnikov now has 82 career points. Among non-Canadian born players, that passes Marian Gaborik for the 8th most recorded as a teenager— StatsCentre (@StatsCentre) January 22, 2020
- The Florida Panthers are set to host the 2021 NHL All-Star game. The official announcement will be made this weekend at the 2020 game. [$The Athletic]
- Alex Nedeljkovic is the third Charlotte Checkers goaltender to be named to the AHL All-Star Classic. [Charlotte Checkers]
- Joel Quenneville returned to Chicago last night and the fans didn’t disappoint:
Video tribute and a hell of an ovation for Joel Quenneville. pic.twitter.com/j2DCfonn72— Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) January 22, 2020
- The Athletic has an entertaining NHL players poll every season, but ESPN now has an entertaining KHL player poll. They asked former NHL players at the KHL All-Star game their opinions about the KHL and Russia. [ESPN]
The tail end of what appeared to be a, um, physical disagreement between Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith.— Jimmy Greenfield (@jcgreenx) January 21, 2020
I didn’t see what precipitated it and can’t say if it was real but sure looked real. pic.twitter.com/77ZcWnk5ZG
- Akim Aliu signs with HC Litvinov in the Czech league. They have 14 games left in the season, and are making a push for the playoffs. [Sportsnet]
- Oilers AHL defenseman Brandon Manning, was suspended for five-games for using a racial slur. [NBC Sports]
- Connor McDavid was supposed to have serious surgery after suffering a PCL injury. He opted instead for rehab which saved an entire season. [TSN]
- Seattle has secured the old Key Arena roof, and the construction phase has begun on the new arena. [NHL.com]